Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 246 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 01:51 PM   #2451
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowozange View Post
Can point out the thread please?
Thank you.
More FET noise measurements (for EUVL)
Old 30th December 2012, 06:57 AM   #2452
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Hello Scott,

Do you use Adobe Audtion, if it is may I ask why you use this package.
Old 30th December 2012, 07:04 PM   #2453
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default For SIM guys -->

All you SIM users looking for better models and more computing power -->
Check out my old alma mater.... LLNL in Livermore, Calif.... they've always had the most powerful scientific computer in the world and it is constantly being replaced/upgraded; What could you do with 512 bit word size and 20-Petaflop speed? Being installed is the "Sequia".... a Terascale Simulation Facility. And, try to imagine the memory part of it.

-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 30th December 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:43 PM   #2454
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEONIX View Post
Hello Scott,

Do you use Adobe Audtion, if it is may I ask why you use this package.
Because my wife got the entire Adobe Suite as a student. Adobe's implementation of virtual memory and handling of HUGE audio files I find very useful. I can load and entire 10hr. MP3 as a wave and search visually for interesting sections. Converted to wav this is a 7G or so file, once loaded the zooming in and out and scrolling has no latency. Goldwave for instance choaked on this and started taking huge amounts of time for screen redraw every time I moved to another section. In general I do my own signal processing and use MATLAB or MATHCAD to control all aspects of the environment so I have no interest in any of the specialized programs available.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:49 PM   #2455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Check out my old alma mater.... LLNL in Livermore, Calif.... they've always had the most powerful scientific computer in the world and it is constantly being replaced/upgraded; What could you do with 512 bit word size and 20-Petaflop speed? Being installed is the "Sequia".... a Terascale Simulation Facility. And, try to imagine the memory part of it.

-RNMarsh
Actually people are exploring massively parallel video game graphics chips. We tested a prototype that easily was 10X as fast as a the best workstations available.

All the computers in the world won't help bad models.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:35 AM   #2456
diyAudio Member

We dont use no stinkin' bad models. [do we?]

Them bad ones are reserved for SPICE users. :-)

-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 1st January 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: PC models stink -
Old 1st January 2013, 12:51 AM   #2457
diyAudio Member

Wiki --- IBM Sequoia. 1.572 million cores. 98,000 nodes are interconnected in a 5-dimensional Torus topology. The entire supercomputer (all 3000 sq ft of it) runs on Linux !!
All conceived, developed, built and used by real human being types.

Last edited by RNMarsh; 1st January 2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: There is SIM and then there is SIM !
Old 1st January 2013, 01:11 AM   #2458
diyAudio Member

Some of those GPU's cost more than my laptop all by themselves and then to run them massively in parallel, that aint't cheap! I would love one for when I am doing my CAD work and particularly when I am doing photo realistic rendering....... Of course HP decided that I didn't need an expansion slot or any other slot in my laptop, bad design in that respect. Next time, next laptop or my next desktop/workstation.
Old 1st January 2013, 06:19 AM   #2459
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

It's funny how terminology changes. Cores are CPUs (or "execution units" or something - a modern "microprocessor" is a "quad core" which I would think of as having/being four microprocessors on a chip), but when I was first learning about computers core was a type of memory.
Old 1st January 2013, 11:56 AM   #2460
diyAudio Member

Problems is nto the nr of cores, problem is how to get SPICE do parallel computing when doing transient analysis. AFAIK, it cannot be done today.

Ia m using MicroCap10 pro, and even though it does parallel computing by sharing the load amongst CPU cores when doing parametric sweeps or THD calculations, during TRAN it usus only one CPU. THD is done by running TRAN for several values of freq or amplitude.

What SPICE needs is a THz CPU instead of 1MEG of cores.

Sidebar: the world´s fastest computer, the Titan, draws a whopping 8 MW! That would take 2-3 win generator power plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post

-RNMarsh

Hide this!Advertise here!