Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 223 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 08:08 PM   #2221
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Open loop?
Because as soon as you close the loop it isn't H2 anymore.
That brings up a thought/question. Would it help this to take the feedback from the output of the VAS instead of THE output? It would avoid the problem of spreading out low-harmonic distortion into higher harmonics (is there a name for that?) in the feedback loop.

Since the VAS output is a rather high impedance point, a voltage follower (emitter/source follower and CCS) could be added, and the feedback taken from that. For those on a "low transistor count budget" this could blow it, but as any engineer knows you can't have everything...
Old 26th November 2012, 08:26 PM   #2222
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I proposed long time ago in this thread to have nested feedbacks. And feed-froward by a resistor from input to output of the output follower, balancing such a way power amplification between stages.
Old 26th November 2012, 09:44 PM   #2223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I was just looking at the pdf for the Fairchild devices with a hopeful eye. From what I can see they do not seem to be particularly complementary.

_-_-bear
I'm afraid you will never find very good complimentarity with JFET's anywhere. They are majority carrier devices one holes one electrons, the mobility difference will always cause something to be amiss. At the very least my observation is that the output characteristics on the P's are always softer, also PFET's do not have impact ionization a direct result of the mobility difference.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:30 AM   #2224
diyAudio Member

Scott: If p jefts exhibit this non-complementarity, I might be displaying my ignorance but what about an all n jfet output stage (totem pole)? But that would require a balanced push push input signal to the output stage? Thanks Ray
Old 27th November 2012, 02:31 AM   #2225
diyAudio Member

Correction: Push-pull.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:49 AM   #2226
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
Scott: If p jefts exhibit this non-complementarity, I might be displaying my ignorance but what about an all n jfet output stage (totem pole)? But that would require a balanced push push input signal to the output stage? Thanks Ray
Like, if after washing a baby in a water it is still relatively dirty, why do not throw it out together with the dirty water?

JC already showed balanced input to the output stage. It looks smooth on the paper, but is bumpy as usual in the reality. What we discussed here, many pages, how to find more optimal design. However, before doing that we did not stop to decide about optimization criteria, so everyone have own in mind.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:05 AM   #2227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
However, before doing that we did not stop to decide about optimization criteria, so everyone have own in mind.
It's still not too late to put forward your criteria for consideration.

I think Scott & I share very clear common criteria; eg low THD, sensible stability adjustment for different loads & gains. no funnies on overload or startup, no Unobtainium, robust to component variations so flexible with voltages, devices etc, optimised for audio rather than RF, good sound.

We might also admit to some 'show off' criteria like zillon V/us slew so we outperform Golden Pinnae stuff on the important Hirata & Quan tests.

I'd like to do as well as SW-OPA on the above with less current, less devices & less real estate.

You'll excuse me for not adopting 'new' topologies' unless they show improvements on these criteria over tried & tested.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:53 AM   #2228
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'd also love to see a circlotron type OPA with BF862, that would be 'so fun'

but first this show should run to its conclusion
Old 27th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #2229
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i'd also love to see a circlotron type OPA with BF862, that would be 'so fun'

but first this show should run to its conclusion
I suspect things are close to at least the curtain on the first act.
Old 27th November 2012, 04:47 PM   #2230
diyAudio Member

No, I'm not advocating throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'll build it the way Scott designs it according to his reccomendations. Ray

Hide this!Advertise here!