Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 211 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 06:40 AM   #2101
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Dicey.

Scott holds the ****-you wine record. Sauntered into the restaurant for dinner one night and plopped an 1850 Verdelho on the table. Consensus was that it needed another century. Oldest I have on hand at the moment is a '47 Rioja.
The oldest wine I have that I would proffer with complete confidence is a 1959 Yquem. Sitting next to that, a 1971 Petrus, and nearby friend Kathy's half-bottle of 1967 Yquem. All have been stored carefully for many years and were bought "new".

However, the provenance, subsequent impeccable storage, and fill of the La Tache magnum is very reassuring, despite the overall year being a mite spotty for burgundy. The problem is: what will the occasion be?

I once drank a DRC 1964 Richebourg by myself at one sitting. Too much --- I got toxic. A magnum of old burgundy needs at least four seasoned drinkers. And just the right, relatively neutral, but wonderful food.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:21 PM   #2102
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=bcarso;3244775]The oldest wine I have that I would proffer with complete confidence is a 1959 Yquem.
However, the provenance, subsequent impeccable storage, and fill of the La Tache magnum is very reassuring, despite the overall year being a mite spotty for burgundy. The problem is: what will the occasion be?

[QUOTE]

1959 dYquem, magnificent. Funny it was the first great sauterne I ever had and none ever matched it even the '67 (on many tries, it was $19.99).

Next BA my place in SF? SY, Jan, JC? My daughter and I make a good team at the stove. SY will testify that I can provide some decent food.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 17th November 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:30 PM   #2103
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post

So, I thought I would get something made in countries or by makers no longer around -- Like 7 star rated Metaxa from Greece :-)
-RNM
7 star and Metaxa are still around,
Metaxa, The Greek Spirit - The Distillation Process
Collection

thus...

Mr. Marsh, for a few of us, idea(l)s never cease to “be around” .

George
Old 17th November 2012, 01:33 PM   #2104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
I once drank a DRC 1964 Richebourg by myself at one sitting. Too much --- I got toxic. A magnum of old burgundy needs at least four seasoned drinkers. And just the right, relatively neutral, but wonderful food.
Don't remind me of wasted youth. When I lived with folks in the trade, one Saturday four of us finished off and entire case of samples.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:07 PM   #2105
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Next BA my place in SF? SY, Jan, JC? My daughter and I make a good team at the stove. SY will testify that I can provide some decent food.
I can confirm that's true and I'll be there next year. Perhaps I can lend a hand in the kitchen? Just to tweak Brad a bit, I do have some magnums of '95 Belle Helene...
Old 17th November 2012, 03:20 PM   #2106
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=SY;3245101]I can confirm that's true and I'll be there next year. Perhaps I can lend a hand in the kitchen? QUOTE]

Yes, yes, and we have gas there and a big smoker barbie as well.
Old 17th November 2012, 05:03 PM   #2107
diyAudio Member

I hope by then I will be able to afford to have moved into a more secure place. At the moment I don't dare leave the premises for all that long, without a really trustworthy housesitter. So I don't get out much, and then not for even a full day.

When I moved here I was comforted by the proximity to the manager, and the appearance of relative poverty. It worked for a while, indeed many years. But some people are getting more desperate
Old 17th November 2012, 05:20 PM   #2108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
1959 dYquem, magnificent. Funny it was the first great sauterne I ever had and none ever matched it even the '67 (on many tries, it was $19.99).
Yes I had the 59 once before and it was by far the finest sticky wine ever. Broadbent thought it worth six stars, one over his maximum. The only other wine I noticed in his book that he felt warranted his blowing the maximum was the 1945 La Tache. I shared both of those with two friends circa 1982. One of them still remembers it, the other is dead.

With three others I drank a 67 Yquem far too young, really infanticide. Preceding it iirc: 1970 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne "Ancien Domaine des Comtes de Grancey", a 1953 Leoville-Barton, and a magnum of 1947 Volnay Clos de Chenes. The Corton-Charlemagne was so good I almost sent everyone home with their contributions so I could drink it all myself

Kathy hopes to drink her 67 half-bottle with me someday. Once again we're looking for an occasion. And a quarter-bottle of Sauternes is still a lot.
Old 17th November 2012, 05:51 PM   #2109
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
7 star and Metaxa are still around,
Metaxa, The Greek Spirit - The Distillation Process
Collection

George
yes, but the Greeks may not be... :-)
Old 17th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #2110
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

probably the only really great wine i've tasted was awhile back - probably was expensive then and more so if anyone has one left is a 1995 DRC la tache in bangkok at the Oriental Hotel when I was treated to several days there (@3K/day). [the place came with a butler, no less] Its nice to be spoiled... if not by others, then yourself.

Got recommendations for low/medium-end wines - red or whites?

Last edited by RNMarsh; 17th November 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!