Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 210 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 02:47 AM   #2091
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
1955 Charmes-Chambertin is pushing it. Most probably bleedin' deceased. My condolences.

My oldest authentic burg is a 1983 La Tache magnum. When??
1983 was a pretty spotty vintage, lots of rot. The only bottle of 1983 La Tache I have seen did not look that inviting. You better make sure I'm there just in case.

More disappointing was the 1990 Clos de la Bousse d'Or and 2006 Echezeaux Gros Freres both sort of four square and clunky and these are seriously priced wines. I just don't see modern Burgundy.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 16th November 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:48 AM   #2092
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

And since we're in a groove, had this last weekend: 1997 d'Arenberg The Ironstone Pressings, Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale - CellarTracker!. Was worried about how it had fared but it was excellent, the comments about the fruit are spot on ...

Frank
Old 16th November 2012, 03:17 AM   #2093
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Just the weird stuff - but good stuff left -

Quote:
How can you keep a fine wine for sooo long? I have to drink it after a few good years of storage. My oldest fine wine now is only from 1996.

So, I thought I would get something made in countries or by makers no longer around -- Like 7 star rated Metaxa from Greece :-) and an old Polish liquer store owner who went to a home for the aged left me with a large bottle from his stash of Polish Vodka made over 50 years ago (from the time he gave it to me) called Krolemska. And, A fine but small Irish whiskey maker who went broke and sold off all its stock of their rare and best single malt Scotch Whiskey -Rose Bank made in 1979, bottled in 1999. If you cant or don't dare drink it, it might as well be unique. -RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 16th November 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:31 AM   #2094
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
How can you keep a fine wine for sooo long? I have to drink it after a few good years of storage. My oldest fine wine now is only from 1996.

So, I thought I would get something made in countries or by makers no longer around -- Like 7 star rated Metaxa from Greece :-) and an old Polish liquer store owner who went to a home for the aged left me with a large bottle from his stash of Polish Vodka made over 50 years ago (from the time he gave it to me) called Krolemska. And, A fine but small Irish whiskey maker who went broke and sold off all its stock of their rare and best single malt Scotch Whiskey -Rose Bank made in 1979, bottled in 1999. If you cant or don't dare drink it, it might as well be unique. -RNM
Once bottled spirits tend not to age. I once bought a bottle of Burbon bonded in 1916 and stored to avoid prohibition, lost and found in a warehouse in the 1980's. One taste and Scarface, the Godfather, and Al Capone all make sense.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:48 AM   #2095
diyAudio Member

One of the differences of really old spirits is how they were made and the ingrediants used back then compared to the same process but not quite the same ingrediants. The wood isnt the same, either (if it ever is). So, they taste different/unique and you wont be able to get anything like it again. Even if the brand is still making it. Not unlike wines, in this regard. But, I never drink spirits since my early youth when I learned my lesson on high %age drinks. But, there are those who havent over-indulged yet and they get to drink them and I just stand back and watch.
Old 16th November 2012, 03:56 AM   #2096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One of the differences of really old spirits is how they were made and the ingrediants used back then compared to the same process but not quite the same ingrediants
OTOH the year to year consistency on single malt scotch is amazing, there are golden palates as well as golden ears. The average person could not tell the difference between 15 yr. old Glenlivet across many decades.
Old 16th November 2012, 06:42 AM   #2097
diyAudio Member

consistency - yes, especially when they use the same French oak barrels for storage for decades. When they have to change the wood, then there is a more noticable change which again is consistant for decades in the 'new' wood. I yield to more experience drinkers.
When i lived for three years in Germany, I learned a lot about the wines of France and Germany and the region; Many great wines are fully consumed locally and we never get to taste them over here. Now, I mostly find Calif wines which have become pretty darn good as competitors.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:10 AM   #2098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
consistency - yes, especially when they use the same French oak barrels for storage for decades. .
What I meant was take a "The Glenlivet 15" bottled in 1950 and one bottled in 2000 and it would take a 6 sigma palate to tell the difference. They are that careful to maintain consistency all factors not withstanding.

In any case we shall be back OT tomrrow.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 17th November 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:45 AM   #2099
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:

Dicey.

Scott holds the ****-you wine record. Sauntered into the restaurant for dinner one night and plopped an 1850 Verdelho on the table. Consensus was that it needed another century. Oldest I have on hand at the moment is a '47 Rioja.
Old 17th November 2012, 05:05 AM   #2100
diyAudio Member

Hard Core.

Hide this!Advertise here!