Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 05:03 PM   #181
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
PMA's circuit looks like two CFA inputs looking at eachother, it lends itself very well to full differential connection.

For that matter that simplified 844 made with discrete duals could be tuned up nicely for several applications. I think there are cheap SMT dual's in the BXXXX series. That's 8 SOT6's and an output pair and you have access to all nodes so you play with Charles Hansen's ideas.
Some 8 years ago I had a serious project with a retired IC designer to get a couple of AD844 bare dies, interconnected in a smart way, packaged in a 20-pin DIL.
Total bill was supposed to be some 12k$ for few 1000 chips.
Backed out at the last instant because, no matter how good it would be, it would still be shot down if someone would thoughtlessly use the word 'IC' somewhere

"I'm following this thread with interest".

jan
Old 24th August 2012, 05:07 PM   #182
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
One such part: DMMT3906W, in SOT-363: http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds30312.pdf

I see there are some matching specs.

Brad
Nice that they are adjacent die.

jn
Old 24th August 2012, 05:20 PM   #183
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I have to admit, I like Scott's exercise. Quite elegant.
A beautifully done high gain circuit..... with elegance and simplicity.

[ BTW -- th jfets are still available on internet. At least 6 months ago when i bought some]
Old 24th August 2012, 05:20 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Really Wavebourn, are you sure?
Absolutely.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:23 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

I'm not so sure, but I could be convinced with a simulation that showed lots and lots of 2'nd harmonic with matched devices.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:28 PM   #186
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default high vs low gnfb excercise -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
john curl,
Your so practical, and this discussion doesn't seem to have anything to do with practicality. I guess we can just reinvent the wheel until we get a square one and then decide that it won't go around any better than what exist, but that seems to be the point of this project. Just to try something and see what happens.
You missed a few theads leading up to this --> Actually, it is also about discrete low gnfb vs. IC or high gnfb. Most IC are high gain circuits which depends on high nfb for low distortion. In some audio circles high gnfb has been out of favor for many years. Scott's discrete but high gain design is to be compared and listened to IC and other circuits.
-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 24th August 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure, but I could be convinced with a simulation that showed lots and lots of 2'nd harmonic with matched devices.
John, no need for simulation. Use your common sense. It is trivial. I can understand if such solution was proposed as basic block for some digital device, but not for analog amp, especially when we speak about high end.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:40 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

Quote:
EVUL suggested we stick with cheap readily available parts. I think I could certainly drive 100 Ohms at 20V p-p and still be under 110dB seconds at 20kHz.

BTW that other circuit is free of seconds either.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:42 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
You missed a few theads leading up to this --> Actually, it is also about discrete low gnfb vs. IC or high gnfb. Most IC are high gain circuits which depends on high nfb for low distortion. In some audio circles high gnfb has been out of favor for many years. Scott's discrete but high gain design is to be compared and listened to IC and other circuits.
Can you translate it into English please, regarding Scott's design and NFB?
Old 24th August 2012, 05:44 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
-RNM

Yes I forgot to mention the circuit can be easily tuned with loading or degeneration for a large range of gnfb. As first presented it is as Wavebourn notices very much in the op-amp vein, very large Aol and very low frequency breakpoint. You'll have to leave me out of the listening though I tend not to hear any differences until they're gross.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 24th August 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!