Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 171 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 02:52 PM   #1701
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
The problem I have with SMT is not that they can sound uniform. They can sound uniform, but on the wrong side of the equation. Choked, is how they sound. Uniformly choked, wide-band, under all loading, from micro to macro.

to-92 and similar is a good balance between thermal sinking and transient function. Too big and too much '3d material' can mess up field effects and their associated path-connectivity, and so on.

Since the ear hears via transient function, in all parameters.... micro linearity in transients, and specifically as compared to one another wide-band, in all moving and living complex harmonic function ---this becomes the critical point. (this is the part that 'few-to-none' in the audio industry understand is the primary critical function for all circuitry)

It's not just the measurement, it's signal development in the physical sense that becomes the primary function, here. Heck, it undeniably is the primary issue, here. Unavoidably so.

SMT could be good (might, as it reaches it's own stability and stays there -depends on use and execution) for thermal tracking, but not for primary signal development and expression.
I may be dense this afternoon, can anybody translate this?
Old 15th October 2012, 02:55 PM   #1702
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
I may be dense this afternoon, can anybody translate this?
sorry I cant be of any help, it just reads like a heap of psuedo-scientific phrases strung together to me. sorry KRK youve lost me
Old 15th October 2012, 03:12 PM   #1703
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
SMT sound 'choked' I guess its because theres less air around them? does this apply with the devices that are exactly the same device in a different package?
I'm no critical expert here. Jneutron is one of the guys here who has the goods on a lot of this stuff, having done direct work in these areas. he and I have a history, but I never fail to listen closely. meaning, I do not have his specific background...but I do understand the issues, though.

it's a trade off of thermal dissipation of transient function, and also pathway sizing as we traverse the delta of core to skin (and other 'stuff'), as compared to the physical shape and complex impedance of the given materials set -under said 'excruciatingly complex wideband' load.

This is why they say that to hear an op amp for the first time, is to hear an original NE5532, one that is in a true ceramic dip package.

When you get to hear that differential (nearly a perfect single cause analysis), you finally begin to get a chance to hear the coloration involved in case materials, due to dissipation and signal development/flow.

Last edited by KBK; 15th October 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:17 PM   #1704
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Other possible candidates to try out, for jfet's ,2SK2394,2SK3557, in SOT23 pkg
from JFET - Junction Field Effect Transistors
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/EN4839-D.PDF
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/2SK3557-D.PDF
Old 15th October 2012, 05:33 PM   #1705
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

2SK3557 is essentially identical to BF862, except for a touch less Yfs and higher capacitances.
So BF862 is IMHO the better part.

Patrick
Old 15th October 2012, 05:35 PM   #1706
diyAudio Member

Did some quick sims of the split/bootstrapped compensation (jcx). I found with an even split (2-200pF in series) with the center bootstrapped was an improvement, however the bootstrap had to be derived at the output of the emitter followers just before the output pair or the thirds were worse. The distortion numbers start getting silly.

Indeed the settling time is very compromised by this.

Hi Ken, I'm honored. There is very little signal current in any resistors but the feedback network.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 15th October 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 15th October 2012, 05:53 PM   #1707
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
This is why they say that to hear an op amp for the first time, is to hear an original NE5532, one that is in a true ceramic dip package.
Believe it or not when you remove the plastic with fuming nitric acid the devices still work.
Old 15th October 2012, 05:55 PM   #1708
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Believe it or not when you remove the plastic with fuming nitric acid the devices still work.
Except for that "nitride haze"
Old 15th October 2012, 06:07 PM   #1709
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, short of repackaging the chips on a high-thermal conductivity substrate, I suspect the attachment via the gate lead to a heatsink as close to the package as possible ought to do very well, considerably better than a TO-92.

However, if thermal changes, with their myriad time constants and heat capacities, were as devastating as suggested, the combination of operating the device(s) at the zero tempco point and perhaps as well servoing the dissipation by actively adjusting the drain-source voltage would remove those effects. Unfortunately that procedure will be replaced with others, including higher distortion from the Vds manipulation, although this could in principle be backed out later on.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:17 PM   #1710
diyAudio Member

We might be getting carried away with these thermal issues. A simple potting in the right stuff might be enough.

Diamond filled epoxy?

Hide this!Advertise here!