Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 10:25 PM   #1591
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
Careful. BF545 has a minimum pinch voltage of -0.4V. If by chance you run into the worst case combination of BF862 and BF545, the BF862 may not saturate (but stay in the linear region).

Better find a n jfet with higher pinch voltage, like this. Only 25V Vds but dual, and -2V minimum pinch voltage.
Good advice, the data sheet is a little unclear but from my read the BF545C is fine. That last line of Vp at 1uA looks like it covers all the grades, not sure why it's there.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:27 PM   #1592
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hmmm ... in my sim I have very good agreement on the +ve PSRR figures, but the -ve PSRR is dramatically superior at lower frequencies for stinius. I do note that the -ve PSRR is highly variable, depending strongly on the choice of BJTs, so I'll try replicating stinius's selections ...

Frank
Old 10th October 2012, 10:44 PM   #1593
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Hmmm ... in my sim I have very good agreement on the +ve PSRR figures, but the -ve PSRR is dramatically superior at lower frequencies for stinius. I do note that the -ve PSRR is highly variable, depending strongly on the choice of BJTs, so I'll try replicating stinius's selections ...

Frank
AC or DC? You can scope out the DC component by doing a DC sweep and poking around.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:55 PM   #1594
diyAudio Member

AC. I also note that PSRR is highly dependent on the output DC operating point; if I trim the circuit to minimise DC offset it actually worsens PSRR behaviour - I'm not sure whether this is a sim artifact so far, and I don't have anywhere near enough knowledge about amplifier tolopogies to understand behaviours in an intuitive way ...

Frank
Old 10th October 2012, 11:29 PM   #1595
diyAudio Member

Quote:
AC. I also note that PSRR is highly dependent on the output DC operating point; if I trim the circuit to minimise DC offset it actually worsens PSRR behaviour - I'm not sure whether this is a sim artifact so far, and I don't have anywhere near enough knowledge about amplifier tolopogies to understand behaviours in an intuitive way ...

Frank
In the end this will depend on build and we are smart enough to tweak it if need be.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:21 AM   #1596
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Better find a n jfet with higher pinch voltage, like this. Only 25V Vds but dual, and -2V minimum pinch voltage.
This thread has highlighted some very interesting small JFET dual parts. Thanks Scott, Brad, and everybody else who has made parts suggestions along the way.

Dave
Old 11th October 2012, 06:51 AM   #1597
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmmm ... in my sim I have very good agreement on the +ve PSRR figures, but the -ve PSRR is dramatically superior at lower frequencies for stinius.
Mystery solved - he's added two more cascodes, Q7 and Q8. Using J111s there I'm now able to get 125dB -ve PSRR with one BJT combo, still 100dB at 20kHz ...

Have to say the sim distortion figures are truly excellent, even at gains of 100 ...

Frank
Old 11th October 2012, 01:49 PM   #1598
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Careful. BF545 has a minimum pinch voltage of -0.4V. If by chance you run into the worst case combination of BF862 and BF545, the BF862 may not saturate (but stay in the linear region).

Just noticed this morning another AM radio FET but dual. Someone should evaluate the matching and audio frequency noise. This could be another gem like the BF862. But the user will be punished by an even smaller package.
Old 11th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #1599
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

If you refer to the PMBFJ620, then it has much higher noise and much lower Yfs than the BF862.
Idss is also way too high.
The package is a small problem. We have soldered even 0.5mm pitch 6-pin.
It is humanly possible, even by hand.

Or you are talking about another device ?

Patrick
Old 11th October 2012, 02:00 PM   #1600
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
If you refer to the PMBFJ620, then it has much higher noise and much lower Yfs than the BF862.
Idss is also way too high.
The package is a small problem. We have soldered even 0.5mm pitch 6-pin.
It is humanly possible, even by hand.

Or you are talking about another device ?

Patrick
Yes, then it should stay in cascode duty. I do like the contrast between the parts we are discussing and the usual almost obsolete ones. I think one of the npn/pnp duals had 5 million and 3 million "ready to ship" at the first two distributors.

Hide this!Advertise here!