Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 02:31 PM   #1581
diyAudio Member

Scott: Please forgive my non familiarity with electronics and audio design but if TO126 or TO220 (mje171/181 or mje243/253 output devices are used then how much heat sinking is required? How close to Class A can it be biased? Can this signal dependent bias be pushed into class A? What do you think the quiescent or collector current in the output devices would amount to? Thanks! Ray
Old 9th October 2012, 03:32 PM   #1582
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Scott I assume you meant the 2nd definition re: LTspice?

tr.v. en·joined, en·join·ing, en·joins
1. To direct or impose with authority and emphasis.
2. To prohibit or forbid.

jan
Yes, I usually use that definition.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:48 PM   #1583
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhughes View Post
Scott: Please forgive my non familiarity with electronics and audio design but if TO126 or TO220 (mje171/181 or mje243/253 output devices are used then how much heat sinking is required? How close to Class A can it be biased? Can this signal dependent bias be pushed into class A? What do you think the quiescent or collector current in the output devices would amount to? Thanks! Ray
Most device datasheets will have a ambient temp and a case temp spec on power dissipation. Or, at least a thermal resistance spec for chip to case and chip to ambient. With the maximum operating chip temp also given, one can then calculate the permissible dissipation.

The circuits published (for example 1568) only have a weak signal-dependent bias, as Scott commented. The bias for the output stage current sources is just convenient, not essential to the circuit operation.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:07 PM   #1584
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I left the bias values at the ones in the JE990, there are several descriptions floating around describing the thermal issues for the module. If you want very low impedance drive at higher power I would put the bias diodes and output devices on a piece of metal either case or heat-sink.

I just noticed that I left off the output bias trim and instead matched the Is of the diodes to the outputs.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:57 PM   #1585
diyAudio Member

I run a small recording studio and do location recording of bands. I need 16 stereo headphone amplifiers (32 channels) for performer reinforcement. NO BATTERIES! They have to drive mostly Sennheiser HD380Pro ear buds (54 ohms). If the output stage can't handle that I'm not interested. Thanks, Ray
Old 9th October 2012, 05:37 PM   #1586
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I run a small recording studio and do location recording of bands. I need 16 stereo headphone amplifiers (32 channels) for performer reinforcement. NO BATTERIES! They have to drive mostly Sennheiser HD380Pro ear buds (54 ohms). If the output stage can't handle that I'm not interested. Thanks, Ray
Headphone driver no problem I assume you are not putting 10V rms on earbuds. I suspect this circuit is also fine in Dick's 1V rms on 30 requirement. With real musical crest factors the average power dissipated while well blasting your ears is fairly small.
Old 10th October 2012, 02:26 PM   #1587
Account disabled at member's request

Soon ready to do the PCB layout.
Attached: Schematic for PCB, simulated THD and PSRR (pos and neg).
The target is:
8 pin DIL. Pin compatible with commersial opamps.

S
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic PCB.pdf (56.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: pdf THD.pdf (43.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf Neg PSRR.pdf (96.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Pos PSRR.pdf (104.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 10th October 2012, 07:19 PM   #1588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinius View Post
The target is:

S
Looks good, all SMT right? How small can can you get it?

EDIT - Those complimentary pairs are a great idea, and I love those prices. How low do you think the BOM could get?

Last edited by scott wurcer; 10th October 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 08:25 PM   #1589
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The target is:

S
Very nice!
Old 10th October 2012, 08:41 PM   #1590
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The target is:

S
Careful. BF545 has a minimum pinch voltage of -0.4V. If by chance you run into the worst case combination of BF862 and BF545, the BF862 may not saturate (but stay in the linear region).

Better find a n jfet with higher pinch voltage, like this. Only 25V Vds but dual, and -2V minimum pinch voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!