Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 10:55 AM   #1151
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
You can use Excel and SoX to directly create .wav files at any resolution and sample rate supported.
SoX. Didnít know about it. Impressive list of features.

SoX - Sound eXchange | Features

Thanks Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The distortion isolation test :Distortion Isolation in the Time Domain
Joachim I read the description of the test. The method seems to me very powerful. Congratulations.

George
Old 24th September 2012, 12:08 PM   #1152
diyAudio Member

Thanks George.
Old 24th September 2012, 01:53 PM   #1153
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Question from high up in the nosebleed seats.

If one uses extraordinary quality regulation on the rails, does PSRR still matter? If so why?

_-_-bear
Old 24th September 2012, 02:22 PM   #1154
diyAudio Member

Once you stop the nose bleeding…

If the very good (stiff and clean) psu is accompanied with some measures for rail isolation/RC filtering btn active stages (local post regulation is another option), PSRR requirements I think can be relaxed.
It remains the problem of rail coupling btn input & output on each stage (e.g. base-collector). RC filter there too.
What else left then to PSReject?

George

Last edited by gpapag; 24th September 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 02:27 PM   #1155
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

yes, yes, from up here, the oxygen is very thin...

....also, everything is so far away it seems so little. Small, like ants. Small, like hundreds of tiny micro details. Hard to keep track of...
Old 24th September 2012, 02:43 PM   #1156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post

If one uses extraordinary quality regulation on the rails, does PSRR still matter? If so why?

_-_-bear
Bear, I'm not sure I get the question.
As I see it, PSRR always matter because it determines how much of the psu junk makes it to the signal output.
If you have a maximum 'bleed through' goal, like you don't want more than say 1uV of supply junk at the signal output, you need a certain combination of actual power supply junk and PSRR.
Improve your psu regulation and you can relax the PSRR requirement for your goal, but it always will matter.

Probably when you make your goal with a specific supply and PSRR you will want to try for an even lower goal...

jan
Old 24th September 2012, 02:48 PM   #1157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
yes, yes, from up here, the oxygen is very thin...
Dive bellow the 3000 feet

Quote:
Hard to keep track of...
Whatís the use? Let us ants go back and forth. Winter is coming.

Did you have anything special in your mind (PSRR wise )?

George
Old 24th September 2012, 03:32 PM   #1158
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post

_-_-bear
Some of us like to also confine currents to loops as local to a given circuit section as possible. Walt Jung discusses this in his recent interview in audioXpress, and Bruno Putzeys mentions it somewhere (possibly on the Grimm Audio site?).

When I designed the electronics for the photodiode array spectrometer in the mid-late 70's, I grappled with circuits that needed to be both fast and precise. There was often some relatively local regulation, but the main power supplies were separate from the primary instrument, and although well-regulated, low noise, and fast response, if the circuitry had substantial variation in currents in operation the system would not have worked well enough.

So in virtually every part, after local R-C decoupling, local shunt regulation acted to produce a system overall with invariant power supply currents. In some cases the shunt conduction was actually driven by the signals, not regulating after the fact. It worked very well indeed, and allowed the boards to share a heavy copper ground plane; each board was attached by a copper angle bracket to the plane and was itself constructed of two-sided copper-clad boards, all hand-wired point-to-point.
Old 24th September 2012, 03:40 PM   #1159
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

hmmm... more tiny ants to herd.

_-_-
Old 24th September 2012, 04:29 PM   #1160
diyAudio Member

Interesting question, Bear. Of course, all else being equal, why NOT have high PSRR? However, many good circuits do NOT have really high PSRR, so what do we do with them? Avoid them? OR do we make extremely good power supplies. I do the latter.

Hide this!Advertise here!