Discrete Opamp Open Design - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 04:22 AM   #991
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
linuxguru

I think there's something wrong with your sim.
Yup, known LTSpice artefacts from a quick-and-dirty 5-cycle transient simulation and Hann window. Not really a problem for getting a rough idea of the relative harmonics.
BTW, I changed the upper cascodes to BF822/823, Miller caps to 10 pF and output NPN to 2sc945. Added 22k to ground at high-Z gain node, as suggested by Scott. GBW is up to 48 MHz, so all is well.
Quote:
you can get these transistors for $0.03 ea.
Except the NJFs, all of my transistors run to maybe 5c each.
Old 17th September 2012, 07:55 AM   #992
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post
Yup, known LTSpice artefacts from a quick-and-dirty 5-cycle transient simulation and Hann window. Not really a problem for getting a rough idea of the relative harmonics.
BTW, I changed the upper cascodes to BF822/823, Miller caps to 10 pF and output NPN to 2sc945. Added 22k to ground at high-Z gain node, as suggested by Scott. GBW is up to 48 MHz, so all is well.
Of possible interest: the sim results for a perfect buffer compared to the one shown.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:16 PM   #993
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluke View Post
A trick I used when playing with discrete CFA, but it seems a purely cosmetic effect, isn't it? Once OLG @ 20 kHz is fixed, I think there's no point in deliberately lowering it at LF just to get a flat OLBW - 120 dB @50 Hz and 70 dB @ 20 kHz is better than 70 dB from 50 Hz up to 20 kHz...

L.
You must have missed the controversy, some claim otherwise.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:22 PM   #994
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxguru View Post

Except the NJFs, all of my transistors run to maybe 5c each.
The 22K to ground was a nod to those that think 20KHz open-loop BW improves things, what I'm not sure. This should probably be left for listening experiments.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:28 PM   #995
diyAudio Member

Yes Dimitri, that's it. There is a full schematic in Cobbold's book from George's paper. Some real funky old school tricks to use only one flavor of device.
Old 17th September 2012, 02:50 PM   #996
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The 22K to ground was a nod to those that think 20KHz open-loop BW improves things, what I'm not sure. This should probably be left for listening experiments.
If I build a PCB, I'll bring the gain-node out to pin 8 as external compensation, assuming it's a single DIP8 implementation. Added bonus: people can use their favourite buffer and bypass the default internal buffer if they wish. The only hitch is additional track parasitics at what looks to be a critical high-Z node.
Old 17th September 2012, 03:45 PM   #997
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

The old idea that a wide open loop bandwidth is a good thing got started way back when slew rate and TIM was the raging discussion and has lingered on in audio-lure as a design criteria. Some people think it sounds better that way.

So, if you do a pcb of Scott's circuit then you can compare - with the same exact circuit is best - low-medium and high gnfb by changing one resistor (maybe a pot or switch selectable) and then you can listen. That was one of my intents to try for.... To be able to listen to circuits - but all with super low thd -with various levels of gnfb. That should clear up the issue once and for all, don't you think? Thx - RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 17th September 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 17th September 2012, 03:55 PM   #998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Some real funky old school tricks to use only one flavor of device.
Aren't those p-channel FET's?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 17th September 2012, 04:12 PM   #999
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, as one does when fabricating JFETs alongside NPNs.

There are no PNPs to be seen on the full schematics. Maybe I will scan the section and post, since the book is long out of print. The discussion is good too.
Old 17th September 2012, 04:25 PM   #1000
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post

Thanks,
Chris
yes. P-channel. All npn bjt. [Fig 10.29, pg 395]

Last edited by RNMarsh; 17th September 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!