Discrete Opamp Open Design

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Now that is good news, Scott! Thanks!

Fascinating that SPICE can split its workload during TRAN. I am running some TRAN sessions with time lengths of thousands of seconds, and it takes many hours to do each and I have dozens to do. Now I use two computers and am planning for a 3rd machine to speed things up.

Would be cool if it was possible to rent CPU time from some super computer somewhere on the planet. One that can run code from MicroCap SPICE :)

Best reagrds,
S.

Which computers and OS are you using now or would upgrade to next? Thx-RNMarsh

Quite possibly that using old data is the wrong thing to use as an example of the PC short's-comings for engineering use. Especially if you never have been exposed to supercomputer operation in your work invironment. But its the home PC I am talking about here as a comparison.

I have used computers at home since day one and still use them at home and still am frustrated with them. I am not saying businesses dont have access to great stuff to use today. I dont have great stuff for home PC use. I dont have a Linux working system and programs that run under it for my PC. I dont have a PC that is fast enough and probably never will be - call me spoiled. And, I cant get a high-end Dell with Bridge-like quality for $1500. IMO the average PC is afr from what I want. I want what you have for an affordable PC-like -- price. I am talking about the PC/Windows world and what is available in that world.... Not what is or might be available as SOTA for industrial use.
That would be the proper context to read me.

I see users here with free SPICE software and even MicroCap (which i have) having problems that industry doesnt have and I am sure the gap could be closed (somehow). Maybe Microsoft has killed any patience i used to have ... but even Microcap doesnt work well in many areas. So, you tell me: what does it take to get a Bridge performance PC in my home. i am all ears and want recommendations. Thx-RNMarsh
My only point is that the limitation is with windows.
Linux also runs on x86 platforms and is much faster.
Machine code is significantly faster still.
The fault is in the programming, not the platform.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
My only point is that the limitation is with windows.
Linux also runs on x86 platforms and is much faster.
Machine code is significantly faster still.
The fault is in the programming, not the platform.

I thought it was both. At least for the "toy" computer I have.... works fine for its intended audience - but not for engineering useage. But there can be no room for doubt about Window's contribution to my quandry. I just need to find affordable software that runs affordable SIM. Then Linux OS will be fine with me. I havent looked but is there a MicroCap that runs under Linux? I better look into that as well.

Thx-RNMarsh

Yes, this is DIY, but why would I settle for anything less accurate at home than at work? That would render me a bit schozofrenic :D

Another advantage in using pro SW at home is that I can work at home and I can also learn the SW off-work hours. Working for free is maybe/unfortunately a de facto standard for academic people working in the private sector :-(

Maybe a better observation, I spent 95-99% of my time examining the output of sims in data post processing tools. This is DIY not our day jobs.

Most of my software still prefers to work under Windowx XP, so that is what I have on my two simulation/3DCAD/math computers. My portable computer has W7, though.

My best computer is a Dell 1600 workstation. I have payed for it myself, so it is not top of the line, but was rather fast when I bought it a few years ago. An SSD has all the applications. A bunch of USB harddrives for storage and for backup. I use one 30" IPS using 2560x1600, and one 24" IPS monitor at 1920x1280, and these large screens are really making life more easy and also more fun! An NVIDIA pro graphics card that is fine for smaller 3D stuff but not on anything complex.

I would say that the large monitors and the SSD are the most valuable things on this computer. CPU is slow compared to today´s CPU:s.

If I could afford to upgrade to a new computer it would be either an HP or Dell workstation with fast dual Xeon processors with 8 cores each, 800W PSU, 128GB ECC RAM, one SSD for the OS (dual boot for Win XP and W7), one SSD for the applications, one large PCI-SSD for daily used work files, one 4TB for long term strorage and large graphics/music/video files, and two 4TB USB3 external discs for backup of which one goes to my bank deposit.
Graphics card would be dual NVIDIA Qadro graphics cards with 4GB memory each. Monitors: all 30" IPS panels.

A more affordbale version would be to start with Dell´s T1650 workstation which I think is really good for its price.

Which computers and OS are you using now or would upgrade to next? Thx-RNMarsh

I thought it was both. At least for the "toy" computer I haveThx-RNMarsh

That's only because you want a turnkey setup. I realize that some of my suggestions require work and even some "programming". If you actually looked at some of the benchmarks you might be surprised. I haven't tried it but you probably could run in DOS only mode and use MinGW or other environment and even write in assembler. I have done it in a DOS window pretty impressive (if you haven't noticed at idle off of the web you rarely use more than 1-2% of the CPU anyway).

We had a consultant that refused to use anything but PSICE under DOS. Yes he submitted all sim results as long text files like the ones that used to use the continuous feed printer paper. That's how SPICE on the VAX was (except we had an option to dump out an HP pen plot file), virtual SPICE "card decks" except you didn't have to walk over to the card reader and make sure you didn't drop them on the way and no user interface to speak of and as I mentioned SLOW.

EDIT - The Dell website crashed before I got to read the details, the $1500 was for T7600 box, power supply, and motherboard. So you could get up and running for a lot less than $12,500. I heard that Akihabara is a shadow of its foremer self or I might think you could souce everything at once there. The equivalent in Shenzhen did not instill confidence.

EDIT2 - I think you can set up your PC with Berkeley SPICE to run without Windows at all under DOS. Maybe someone here could help you. http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:
Actually this is what you want...

"On November 15, 2011, Intel demonstrated a single x86-based processor, code-named "Knights Corner," sustaining more than a TeraFlop on a wide range of DGEMM operations. Intel emphasized during the demonstration this was a sustained TeraFlop (not "raw TeraFlop" used by others to get higher but less meaningful numbers), and that it was the first general purpose processor to ever cross a TeraFlop."

I thought it was both. At least for the "toy" computer I have.... works fine for its intended audience - but not for engineering useage. But there can be no room for doubt about Window's contribution to my quandry. I just need to find affordable software that runs affordable SIM. Then Linux OS will be fine with me. I havent looked but is there a MicroCap that runs under Linux? I better look into that as well.

Thx-RNMarsh

Hello Richard,

If you want a good simulator that will run in linux try simetrix at the link below, its available in various versions and is a serious simulator. It also has the option of being command line driven.

Analog, mixed signal circuit simulation software tool, SIMetrix, SIMPLIS, Micron VX, DVM

In my opinion its better than Microcap because its unaided convergence is superior which means it crashes fewer times on circuit simultions. But Microcap is an excellent simulator and there are many users on this forum who are quite productive with it Edmond Stuart comes to mind.

Arthur

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Would be cool if it was possible to rent CPU time from some super computer somewhere on the planet. One that can run code from MicroCap SPICE :)

Best reagrds,
S.

can happen if you can get a terminal at your location which is remotely attached to a multi-user system at a large university, nearby, which is using a supercomputer.

Last edited:
Re: thinking: I once had a manager, who saw me siting at my desk, hands folded behind my head, ask what I was doing. "Thinking".
Said he: "I 'm not paying you to think, I am paying you to work". And I swear, he was dead serious.
I had the exact same comment thrown at me.

And, the supervisor who summoned me to his office, closed the door, and informed me that I would be formally reprimanded if I didn't clear the manuals, test equipment, and other "clutter" off my desk within 24 hours. I still have a vivid image of him sitting behind his polished wood desktop, totally empty and devoid of everything but the written warning he was reading to me, and telling me that "A cluttered desk is a symptom of a cluttered mind.".

Dale

I had the exact same comment thrown at me.

And, the supervisor who summoned me to his office, closed the door, and informed me that I would be formally reprimanded if I didn't clear the manuals, test equipment, and other "clutter" off my desk within 24 hours. I still have a vivid image of him sitting behind his polished wood desktop, totally empty and devoid of everything but the written warning he was reading to me, and telling me that "A cluttered desk is a symptom of a cluttered mind.".

Dale

Sounds like Bernie Gordon (Analogic) stories, we get occasional ex-Analogic folks here and I've heard my share.

Favorite was the guy who Bernie saw reading an IEEE journal (it directly related to his current project), the story was he asked how long he had been doing it and docked his pay accordingly, education is on your own time.

I have been lucky.