Discrete Opamp Open Design

What's acceptible? If you need to parallel a lot of BF862's you are going sub-nano volt which is not particularly necessary on a line amp and as an input stage you now have to deal with the huge transconductance. From the data one pair of them equals/outdoes an OPA627 input pair.

It's too bad none of these seem to use a modern DI process where all three connections are isolated. As a side benefit the DI FET's can have negligible impact ionization. It was entertained here but you can't make a viable business argument.

I want a measurement amplifier where I can say "forget the preamp" when it
comes to voltage noise. Well, within limits, but the measured objects get better
with time, too.

My pain threshold is currently a dozen ADA4898 duals stamps in parallel.
That style of etched subcircuits is quite handy btw, I have designed a nice library
of modules that makes short development of prototypes.

I use those dielectrically insulated transistor arrays made by Intersil, but
only RF npn and pnps, no FETs. I could also use a DI fet opamp, or a normal
one that survives a 5 krad dose. Apart from LF411 there seems to be nothing qualified. :-(

Oh, pliers was not the right word, more like tweezers & a precision wire
cutter, but it looks that way under the microscope.

regards, Gerhard

(warmest xmas ever in history: 20.7°C in Munich)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto - 24.12.2012 - 17:18:49.png
    Bildschirmfoto - 24.12.2012 - 17:18:49.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:

OK, I don't think Jan would mind. The 604K resistor makes a 100nV/rt-Hz reference at the input this allows calibration without regard to bin width or windowing so even the most primitive FFT software should be usable. Just average lots of noise with the resistor switched in and make that reference line 40dB then short it and get the noise of the FET alone, 0dB equals 1nV.

This is all I used for those plots in the Pass forum.

Attachments

• noise.JPG
    noise.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
OK, I don't think Jan would mind. The 604K resistor makes a 100nV/rt-Hz reference at the input this allows calibration without regard to bin width or windowing so even the most primitive FFT software should be usable. Just average lots of noise with the resistor switched in and make that reference line 40dB then short it and get the noise of the FET alone, 0dB equals 1nV.

This is all I used for those plots in the Pass forum.
Much more sophisticated than my own crude lash up Guru Wurcer. :eek: We grovel at your feet.

What's the Pass forum?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
For SIM guys -->

All you SIM users looking for better models and more computing power -->
Check out my old alma mater.... LLNL in Livermore, Calif.... they've always had the most powerful scientific computer in the world and it is constantly being replaced/upgraded; What could you do with 512 bit word size and 20-Petaflop speed? Being installed is the "Sequia".... a Terascale Simulation Facility. And, try to imagine the memory part of it.

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Hello Scott,

Do you use Adobe Audtion, if it is may I ask why you use this package.

Because my wife got the entire Adobe Suite as a student. Adobe's implementation of virtual memory and handling of HUGE audio files I find very useful. I can load and entire 10hr. MP3 as a wave and search visually for interesting sections. Converted to wav this is a 7G or so file, once loaded the zooming in and out and scrolling has no latency. Goldwave for instance choaked on this and started taking huge amounts of time for screen redraw every time I moved to another section. In general I do my own signal processing and use MATLAB or MATHCAD to control all aspects of the environment so I have no interest in any of the specialized programs available.

Check out my old alma mater.... LLNL in Livermore, Calif.... they've always had the most powerful scientific computer in the world and it is constantly being replaced/upgraded; What could you do with 512 bit word size and 20-Petaflop speed? Being installed is the "Sequia".... a Terascale Simulation Facility. And, try to imagine the memory part of it.

-RNMarsh

Actually people are exploring massively parallel video game graphics chips. We tested a prototype that easily was 10X as fast as a the best workstations available.

All the computers in the world won't help bad models.

Some of those GPU's cost more than my laptop all by themselves and then to run them massively in parallel, that aint't cheap! I would love one for when I am doing my CAD work and particularly when I am doing photo realistic rendering....... Of course HP decided that I didn't need an expansion slot or any other slot in my laptop, bad design in that respect. Next time, next laptop or my next desktop/workstation.

Problems is nto the nr of cores, problem is how to get SPICE do parallel computing when doing transient analysis. AFAIK, it cannot be done today.

Ia m using MicroCap10 pro, and even though it does parallel computing by sharing the load amongst CPU cores when doing parametric sweeps or THD calculations, during TRAN it usus only one CPU. THD is done by running TRAN for several values of freq or amplitude.

What SPICE needs is a THz CPU instead of 1MEG of cores.

Sidebar: the world´s fastest computer, the Titan, draws a whopping 8 MW! That would take 2-3 win generator power plants :p

-RNMarsh