Discrete Opamp Open Design

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Probably the stupidest thing I was ever seriously tempted to do was buy a bottle of 1985 Romanee-Conti at a Thai restaurant in Tokyo (on my own coin at $1500). This was so far below the current auction price that I almost did it.

My friend Crosby has a 1978. I feel that I should have offered to store it for him, as although he has a cellar it still gets pretty warm in the summer. But in general he's been very fortunate. We shared his 1923 Dr. Barolet Cotes de Nuits Village in about 1973 (!) and it was outstanding, not just good for being old. And then there was the Martin Ray 1952 Cab in Cucamonga, bought for the price of a BV private reserve ($8.50) via a waiter who knew the Ray was in a nearby bin. This was also around that same time. We learned, eventually, that the restaurant owner had been a neighbor of the notoriously cantankerous Ray, who had sold him some cases of the cabernets.

A late friend went to the place to try to get some. It was back on the wine list at 200 (and this in about 1973!).

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Another example where you have to go to the originals is high quality German wines.

The best German wines are all Rieslings and sweet so go completely against the rest of the world. Rarely found outside Germany but usually 'reasonably' priced (by claret & Burgundy standards).

Moore Bros. in NYC have an extensive selection of Germans.

I also had my share of those in the early days, and they are wonderful. But I tend now to go super-sticky for rare dessert events, or go home. The in-between semidry wines just don't do it for me anymore, even with lots of minerality and acid backbone.

My favourite BBQ steak as tender with flavour unlike beef or veal. It's Agile Wallaby around Cooktown.
Probably was the way it was prepared then -- my impression was that it was very gamey, with no guts to the flavour. Sorry, I want my meat to have some oomph, as well as tenderness.

My wife is Kiwi, she snorts with contempt at the Aussie beef; out of the blue a local butcher started getting shipments of NZ rump, and sold it cheap too, amazing! Absolutely beats the pants off the local stuff ...

Best BBQ'd meat was over in Germany, with family: thick portions of pork with a very tart berry sauce. Like consuming one of the collector items being talked about here, compared to a house red - the typical Aussie offering from the grill ...

Frank

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
where the best German wines are found -

Another example where you have to go to the originals is high quality German wines.

The German Quality wines in the region of where the Rhine and the Mosel rivers meet - Frankfurt area are all great and small vinyards that sell out to the local economy. Got to go there for the best they have. -RNM

Rarely found outside Germany but usually 'reasonably' priced (by claret & Burgundy standards). Nothing like Ch. Cardboard Rieslings from Oz. The identifying characteristic is a 'petrol' nose.

Total myth, the finest German Reislings have always been available here quite easily as a matter fact. In fact we were flooded with all the top BA's and TBA's from 1959, 1971 and 1976.

BTW I like troken wine.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Dont know unless you go there and compare with the imports here. My info comes from Germans who live there. And, when I lived in Frankfurt for 2 years back in the day. I can imagine that Some of the finest may be here. But not all. In those wine dates you mention... Germans tell me the odd years were usually best to put your money on. With Global warming and new wines -- all bets are off. I married an older German women I met there... who taught me a lot of things as a young man including wines but wines and beers are what stuck with me.

Last edited:
Dont know unless you go there and compare with the imports here. My info comes from Germans who live there.

I've been there and done this as long as electronics, classic tourist myths. You need to name names Bernkasteler Doctor, Dr. H. Thanisch, Egon Muller Scharzhofberger (wow their TBA is now $5000 a bottle), Schloss Reinhartshausen, the list goes on all available here since the 1960's.

My German friends prefer the current interest in dry wine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It sure seems like you are REALLY into the wines..... my German wife/friends are not at your level... so you are The Man.

I'l love to have dinner with you and the gang for BA dinner. I've always been out of the country during BA days. But, I'll hold a place on the calender for it. Same month (Oct)? Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Wine? I come back to look and a full page of wine??

No more productive ideas on this opamp?

So, let me pose a question or two.

Nobody here sees any benefit in a "current" based design?

We are going to use standard Miller compensation techniques?

No error correction methods??

The JE990 with a FET front end is SOTA?

I'll wait in the lobby for a bit... until you folks finish ur wine break, coffee and tea up next.

_-_-

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
After discussing wines let's dance now! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Now I know what the three people across from me in the other apartment building were doing last night until about 2:30.

Besides making a hell of a racket, and demonstrating that they all lacked day jobs, they left the drapes open so all (within range) could see them cavorting. Why?? They weren't much to look at. When they finally quit they closed the drapes.

But now I can appreciate their gyrations as having been pedagogically motivated. :D