Discrete Opamp Open Design

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
May I ask why 30 ohms? I think opamps are usually spec'd for 600 ohms.

This amplifier will be used for other than driving 600 ohm input Z's. Driving headphone z is a current application for such circuits. About 1/2 of the headphones are below 600 Ohm Z.
30 ohms is not uncommon. For example, two of my headphones (Senn HD800 and HiFiMan HE6) are 300 and 50 Ohms.

Ic are limited in power handling but this is a discrete design and no such limitation need exist. Thx - RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I hope we see a design come of this thread that is new or at least has some novelty, tweak or improvement over circuits most of us have seen shown here to death. That includes circuits that some experts believe is new but are available all over the internet and as old as 30 or more years. Possible ???

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
True but one designer may optimize for a different reason which may not be obvious to you but important factor to him, so how can one judge that his way is not optimal afterall it is trade offs. For instance J Curl will optimize for wide bandwith but this is not neccesarily good for THD while Edmond will go out of his way to post lowest possible THD. Which one is suboptimal ??

I think the percentage is much smaller than that, probably less than 10 percent when it comes to commercially available equipment.

So, some schematics a copied off a simple search. So much talk, so little action.

Attachments

• NTP_M100_OPAMP.GIF
    NTP_M100_OPAMP.GIF
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,359
  • je-990.gif
    je-990.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,376
  • quad8am10op.jpeg
    quad8am10op.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,354
Four of those already dont qualify, over 8 transistors.

No CFB types ???

current sources are not counted. But, even so, if you like it and it has more than 8, then since you're a genius you can fix it, right? :p

I saw some CFB types, but they had way more than 8 transistors. Do you have any examples you'd like to share or are you just going to talk talk talk???

Digikey is listing both the J76 and K213 series as obsolete. So that looks like a dead end then.

Toshiba has some high-gm FETs (even better on paper than Renesas) but they're rather low voltage and have higher thresholds than the laterals. Along with negative Vgs threshold temp coeff.

Hitachi FET To-220ab 200v .5A 30W GSD *SS | HITACHI *SS | Distributed By MCM
Hitachi Hitachi FET To-220ab N-ch 15V .5A 30W GDS *SS | 2SK215 | Hitachi
Hitachi FET To-220ab P-channel 180v 5MA 30W GSD *SS | HITACHI *SS | Distributed By MCM
Hitachi FET To-220ab P-channel 160v 5MA 30W GSD *SS | HITACHI *SS | Distributed By MCM

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Sorry guys EVUL started this so fast I was caught off guard. I hope to put up a couple of ideas later today. I don't think complexity is a goal in itself, performance is. I also don't think a design contest with an 8 transistor limit should be a prime goal.

Eight transistors is RM's idea, although he's already relaxed things a bit by suggesting he might accept cascodes as counting as a single device, and might likewise allow current sources.

I was thinking yesterday of days of yore when transistors were dear, and PNP silicon ones were just becoming available. Some active filter papers were showing a three transistor opamp (they called it a VCVS, voltage-controlled voltage-source, as it was used for that function and typically at very low closed-loop gains). They were quite pleased at the performance attained :) Sort of the early Western Electric tube stuff in solid-state, and I don't doubt there are a few out there who believe that the simplicity somehow confers some sort of sonic excellence.