Discrete Opamp Open Design

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
what is needed for sota -

Even in sockets and plugs of professional equipment used to record audiophile quality material?

My best tube amps use nickel alloy for anodes.

Also, speaking of PCBs and their orientation, it is better to orient them such a way so components are better cooled by convection. If you put it horizontally components in it's center will be heated more, and their temperature may be higher than be the PCB mounted vertically. Higher tempco have semiconductor devices, so what's the point in thermocouple effect of joints minimization maximizing overall thermal instability?

No rules of dumbs here. Everything has to be carefully designed. All pros and cons considered and calculated, in each and every different case.

Cute: Tubes need to use nickel. And we arent designing a tube circuit here. Not at all relavant. And, if we were, i wouldnt be interested in anything tube.

Wouldnt build recording gear without best parts, materials and practices. Including use of nickel when it can be avoided without penalty. Yes, i know why nickel is used. Doesnt apply to what we are attempting to make and dont have the same issues to deal with.

maybe higher -- maybe. maybe. Temp gradiant was the comment... in relation to gradients affect on thermal emf. your comment doesnt apply.

However, the points are to look at not as a hard rule. generalizations are useful when we are not yet making anything. -Thx - RNM

Here is what I've got simulating Scott's design @ 1kHz, 0dBV into 30 ohm (12 dB gain, medium power output bjts running @ about 50 mA Iq - J113s in the front end - didn't have at hand BFs models - real 2 bjts CCSs in place of I1, I2). Impressive :)

Attachments

• SW 1k.png
    SW 1k.png
    15 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Impressive results in SIM -

Here is what I've got simulating Scott's design @ 1kHz, 0dBV into 30 ohm (12 dB gain, medium power output bjts running @ about 50 mA Iq - J113s in the front end - didn't have at hand BFs models - real 2 bjts CCSs in place of I1, I2). Impressive :)

That IS impressive results from SIM. Let's build that one !! See if we can make one perform close to the SIM model. Congrates to Scott. Thx -Richard Marsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Interesting. Although the harmonic structure is pretty clearly mostly 2nd with a little 3rd, how many harmonics are accounted for in the later plots?

Does your simulator have an option for log scaling?

Brad

What do you mean by the later plots?
Usually I'm using 10 or 20 harmonics, in this case I'm using 10.
No problem with log scaling, what would you like to see?
BTW: it takes more than an hour or two to run a trustworthy
simulation.

Stein

Cute: Tubes need to use nickel. And we arent designing a tube circuit here. Not at all relavant. And, if we were, i wouldnt be interested in anything tube.

Here is it, on the previous page: differential tube input, differential tube output.

Trimmers there left from previous drawing, with paralleled output tubes. Without paralleling it is better to trim gyrators.

Stinius,
I know the quote from Mr. John Curl is what he said, just seems that it should have been critical design instead of over design. I think of over design in engineering as a safety margin and critical design as thinking through each aspect of a design and choosing the best details in all aspects, not just extras for extra sake.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
What do you mean by the later plots?
Usually I'm using 10 or 20 harmonics, in this case I'm using 10.
No problem with log scaling, what would you like to see?
simulation.

Stein

Later meaning later plots in your list, such as THD+N vs Vout.

An hour or two? Good grief! What simulator, what computer? My fairly old circuitmaker screams along compared to that, although I have many procedures I resort to for cross-checking the results, as I think I described a while back.

Anyway, thanks in any case for the efforts. I agree with Patrick --- the BF862 models are around, although perhaps it is less than straightforward to port them into your system. I have a similar problem with my program when I attempt to run it under Windows 7, so I'm using a dedicated XP Pro system on another machine. Life is good :)

Stinius,
I know the quote from Mr. John Curl is what he said, just seems that it should have been critical design instead of over design. I think of over design in engineering as a safety margin and critical design as thinking through each aspect of a design and choosing the best details in all aspects, not just extras for extra sake.

Actually "Over design" is improving of some parameter that was less than needed for optimum before to the more than needed for optimum value. You can't overdesign all parameters because some of them are contradictory.

bcarso,
It seems we all have to keep older computers around for special applications. I do so I can run my full length PCI slot cards. Progress is a bitch sometimes. If you don't like Windows 7 just wait for Windows 8. I'll stick with my Windows 7 thank you, and always keep that XP disk for that time when you have to use a virtual machine for an old program.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
bcarso,
It seems we all have to keep older computers around for special applications. I do so I can run my full length PCI slot cards. Progress is a bitch sometimes. If you don't like Windows 7 just wait for Windows 8. I'll stick with my Windows 7 thank you, and always keep that XP disk for that time when you have to use a virtual machine for an old program.

My friend Kathy, an expert Unix programmer and software QA professional, refers to the company as MicroSatan.

I have an entire backup machine with bundled XP Pro in readiness if the one I use now fails. And of course I do backup.

And the only time the sim machine was hooked to the internet was to activate the operating system. I of course get the message on startup about how I may not be protected, and friends warn me that uSoft will not be supporting XP soon. Thank you, I don't care!

My friend Kathy, an expert Unix programmer and software QA professional, refers to the company as MicroSatan.

My brother is a Linux user and wont even install any windows software period. I have expensive CAD programs that make me use it, I have zero choice in the matter. Back up to multiple computers and drives. I just had a rather new hard drive fail, under warranty but I couldn't get in on the system as it was looking for the second dead drive. Had to redo the master boot record just to get back on. What would we do without them, but they are just a pain some times.

simulation.

Stein

:eek: 5 or 10 sec here to get ~-300dB or so math noise error floor. I have never gotten PSPICE to do just that, we have a mode to force a transient analysis to behave as an ideal jitter free A/D.

We need to pick an output stage and bias it for max load wanted, if I read Dick's schematic correctly the output devices are several tens of mA quiescient.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
My brother is a Linux user and wont even install any windows software period. I have expensive CAD programs that make me use it, I have zero choice in the matter. Back up to multiple computers and drives. I just had a rather new hard drive fail, under warranty but I couldn't get in on the system as it was looking for the second dead drive. Had to redo the master boot record just to get back on. What would we do without them, but they are just a pain some times.

Kathy has had to become well-versed in the wicked ways of windoze, but she hates it, and hates the bloated and never-ending "improvements" and the Mr. Helper Can't Leave Well-Enough Alone philosophy out of Redmond. She has warned me about the latest version of Word. I type now on a machine I use for Internet comms and don't have the full Word or Excel yet. I can manage for the moment. With the freebie subset of Word I have to rush to cover up the portion of the screen that runs uSoft ads when I start it up.