Discrete Opamp Open Design

Thanks Scott, The idea is make an input box with all the bells and sirens that couples to a laptop so it is very easy to get consistent results.

Attachments

• blocks.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll post a scan of the later version Quantech this evening. The opamp variation is simple by comparison. Need PC software w/ noise analysis to make it useful. Maybe a subset of hpw?

A little behind schedule but here is a block diagram of the 5173, the preamp section and just the first page of the preamp circuit. Somewhat like a curve tracer there are a lot of interacting pieces to make one of these. Mine was hijacked into Constellation production and I have not been able to get it back yet. Finding another is quite difficult.

It may be easier to limit the options some and make it more manual. I have the schematics for the older 2173 but I need to scan those as well.

Attachments

• 5173 block diagram.PNG
    5173 block diagram.PNG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 5173 preamp block diagram.PNG
    5173 preamp block diagram.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 5173 preamp and bias.PNG
    5173 preamp and bias.PNG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1,021
Thank you very much for the Quantech circuits, I was after them for quite some time.

Over the weekend I have made some progress on automating my Agilent 89441A,
the preamp, gnuplot and the control program on Linux Mint. I had allocated some buffers
locally in procedures and got stack overflows, resulted in really wierd and unpredictable
behaviour.... That much for 16 Gig physical RAM and unlimited swap space. :-(

I could make a few measurements on noise density of some batteries:
Ansmann NiMH 2850 mAh AA size with no load and 2*47R wire wound
Panasonic/Sanyo NiCd 1800 mAh C size with no load and 2*47R
Bottom traces are the own voltage noise of the preamp ( 10 pairs of ADA4898-2 in par.)
The dark blue line is the voltage noise of 60R thin film, i.e 1nV/sqrt Hz taken
as reference -> 0dB relative.

It's interesting that the NiMH gets that noisy under load, should be abt. 200mA DC.
There are still some effects that need to be considered, for example the noise below
100 Hz seems to be somehow different and the spurious I get varies too much for my taste.
I need a lot of gain to swamp the 1/f noise of the FFT analyzer.

Attachments

• Batteries.png
    Batteries.png
    266 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
How about the MPSA18?
I just found and ordered a few hundred pieces of its brother device (same process, better noise specs), the MPS6571, at a NOS wholesaler. I thought they were unobtainable. Testing might possibly reveal that these are, um, not quite the genuine article :( This part number was used in the Nelson Pass / Threshold NS-10 preamp.

Still, I expect to find Rbb' in the vicinity of 500-1000 ohms.

I found data on the MPSA18. ... The measured Rbb is given as 900 Ohms.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I could make a few measurements on noise density of some batteries:
Ansmann NiMH 2850 mAh AA size with no load and 2*47R wire wound
Panasonic/Sanyo NiCd 1800 mAh C size with no load and 2*47R
Bottom traces are the own voltage noise of the preamp ( 10 pairs of ADA4898-2 in par.)
The dark blue line is the voltage noise of 60R thin film, i.e 1nV/sqrt Hz taken
as reference -> 0dB relative.

It's interesting that the NiMH gets that noisy under load, should be abt. 200mA DC.
There are still some effects that need to be considered, for example the noise below
100 Hz seems to be somehow different and the spurious I get varies too much for my taste.
I need a lot of gain to swamp the 1/f noise of the FFT analyzer.

It would be good info to have the noise (increases) as the battery is used towards its' end-of-life.

THx-RNMarsh