New pre amp coming. Change over to 115V help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a pre amp from china. A Lite Audio A-15. It uses a Mark Levinson clone board.

Told the guy to wire it for 115v (USA) but when he sent me pictures right before it was shipped, I noticed the back of the case had "230V" checked. Asked him about that. They made a mistake and had it set 230V. Told me how to change it over.

I have soldered together many kits and made many things. But never something like this.

This is the transformer (R core).

r26_xx_1-1600x1200.jpg

From the email (He writes horrible english) it sounds like i will get it with the YEL going to one of IEC inlet terminals and the GRN going to the other IEC inlet terminals. RED and ORG are twisted together.

I need to (what he told me) have the YEL+ORG go to one of the IEC inlet terminals and GRN+RED go to the other IEC inlet terminals.

Is this right?

Looks like on the pictures that RED and GRN have dots next to them. Are those the primaries windings?

Any help?

The pre amp should show up next week sometime :) Just want to be able to fix it right away, so i can start enjoying it.

Connect red and green together, then to the IEC terminal.
Connect yellow and orange together, then to the other IEC terminal.

Those are both primary windings, the secondary windings are over the other side of the dashed line.

The dots indicate the start of the winding, hence you need to wire up the right way to maintain correct phase.

Awesome!! Thanks for the help.

Makes me feel much better about the whole thing. I hope to learn more and more each day. One of these days, make something totally from scratch using a bread board :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
To be 100% sure all is well wire up the tranny as Richie advises. Then lace a small mains filament bulb in series with the mains supply to the tranny and with the secondaries NOT connected measure the AC volts on the secondaries to confirm they are correct.

If you make a mistake with the primary side then the bulb will light rather than something going pop :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.