Balanced Signal over 500 Metres!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks everyone again for the various ideas. Obtaining AC power at the main gate is not an issue. The Microphone already in their possession is attached.

Attachments

• microphone.jpg
    microphone.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 84
  • cablepsu.jpg
    cablepsu.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 88
Obtaining AC power at the main gate is not an issue.

Meaning there is or isn't power.....?

If not - 2 ( or more ) pair cable - feed 24V dc on one pair, and then proper decoupling, regulation and filtering before feeding a decent balanced mic preamp. OR - find a good circuit for phantom powering, but preamp and driver seems better solution....
600m mic cable and no preamp - forget it...

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Chaps you're over-complicating the issue. A standard balanced mic will work fine over 500m. I've run much longer. Use starquad cable for best noise rejection, and if not using phantom power but powering the mic from a separate supply at the far end, at least one transformer to avoid earth problems. Sorted.

QUOTE=AuroraB;3132097]Meaning there is or isn't power.....?[/QUOTE]

I meant that it is possible to get power locally at the main gate. I will use a stablised supply of 12volts DC for the condenser mic.

Will also use another stablised +-15volts DC for the preamp at the sending end. All of this together with the balanced preamp in one enclosure within an outer enclosure conforming to IP65. Owing to its low output impedance, I reckoned using a pair of the Elektor preamp I have cited in post #1 as a good choice. (Schematic is attached herewith.) elektor_ulti-preamp.gif Run the signal balanced in a standard mic cable.

Receive it at the other end with a Balanced receiver with good CMRR like the circuit in the second attachment.

Attachments

• MarcelUnbalBalConverter.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.