lpf and hpf setting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The type of the filter make the difference in the passband characteristic, and the way that the rejection band is entered, this means the slope of the output/input as function of frequency it responds.

I read what you wrote but I don't understand one thing you said.how I am confuse again. Lol.

Which filter is best to use for certain frequency range.
Eg is butterworth filter better to use for bass or highmid.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In simple words ;) a filter has two main parameters: the type and the slope.
The slope says how steep it rises or falls at the xover frequency. It depends a lot on the driver in your speaker. If you have a driver that is flat to say 10kHz and you want to roll it of at 3kHz you'd probably want to use a 2nd or 3rd order filter (higher order = more steep).
If your driver falls of at 3kHz from itself, you can use that to ease the slope of the filter.
The type of filter says, roughly, something about how flat it is in the passband, and whether there is any over- or undershoot at the xover frequency.
But thats another story.

jan

Each kind of filter works pretty fine in all frequencies, at the condition it is well designed, properly made (physically) and right loaded at both ends. The difference is the slope and the ripple inside the passband. Tchevishev has high slope but lot of ripple inside the passband, Butterworth has low ripple at the cost of not so sharply defined in and out of band limit (less slope of the Vo/Vi in function of frequencies).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.