lpf and hpf setting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can someone explain how to setup bass frequency with lpf and hpf.. 35hz to 90hz. This is the part I don't understand.

It all depends on what you want to do. Do you have a passive or active crossover, how many ways, what's the freq range of the individual drivers?
You need to know that to be able to select the correct xover freq and the filter slopes.

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So? What are the freq ranges of the various drivers?
If you don't know, you really should make an effort to find out.
You CAN do it by ear, but it's tedious and not guranteed you find the best solution.
Is there ANYTHING you know about the drivers?
In the trial and errror case, I would start with a 80Hz, 2000Hz, and 10kHz xover frequencies.

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I understand, but I'm sure you understand that this wholly depends on what the various drivers can handle. If you have a midrange that drops below 200Hz it would be pretty silly to set the hipass at 80Hz.
If you don't have that info, maybe you should just literally play it by ear. ;)

Edit: you mean that you need to know how a hpf or a lpf works? It's all in the name.
If your midrange can handle say 100Hz to 3kHz, you set a hpf at 100Hz, that wil 'pass' all signals above (higher than) 100Hz to the midrange.
You then set a lpf at 3kHz which will 'pass' anything below 3kHz to the midrange but progressively cut of signal above 3kHz. Does that answer it?

jan

Last edited:
As Jan told you, the crossover has to match the drivers (and, to some extent, the enclosure too). There isn't a magic right answer. Speaker design is always a matter of compromise. For a subwoofer you need to know something about the sub and the main speaker too, because your crossover settings will interact with their native response. It might have helped if you had made it clear from the beginning that you are talking about a sub, not a main speaker.

No, I think he has a subwoofer etc. and he wants to know how to choose the crossover frequencies. The full answer has to be "go away and read books on filter theory and electroacoustics, then find out/measure the bare response of your speakers in your room, then choose crossover freqs which gives flattest/most impressive response for the type of music you listen to" but that won't help him very much.

=janneman;

Edit: you mean that you need to know how a hpf or a lpf works? It's all in the name.
If your midrange can handle say 100Hz to 3kHz, you set a hpf at 100Hz, that wil 'pass' all signals above (higher than) 100Hz to the midrange.
You then set a lpf at 3kHz which will 'pass' anything below 3kHz to the midrange but progressively cut of signal above 3kHz. Does that answer it?

jan

Yes you are correct.

Here is more frequency setup.Bass 35hz to 90hz , midbass 80hz to 250hz, midhighs 200hz to 1.5 khz and highs 1.5khz to 20000khz.

I just need some help on how to apply the hpf and lpf to the difference frequencies.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I don't understand what you are asking. If you want to know how a filter works, then Google is your friend. You don't seem able to ask a meaningful question with enough supporting information for us to answer it.

One thing which might help is if you set a country flag. Then someone who speaks your native language may be able to help you express your question.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you are correct.

Here is more frequency setup.Bass 35hz to 90hz , midbass 80hz to 250hz, midhighs 200hz to 1.5 khz and highs 1.5khz to 20000khz.

I just need some help on how to apply the hpf and lpf to the difference frequencies.

Thanks.

Did you understand this:

janneman; Edit: you mean that you need to know how a hpf or a lpf works? It's all in the name.
jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit:

jan[/QUOTE

Does the same method goes for sub, midbass and highs.

Yes, i think I get it now.

Sorry for the poor english.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Edit:

jan[/QUOTE

Does the same method goes for sub, midbass and highs.

Yes, i think I get it now.

Sorry for the poor english.

Yes indeed! Just fill in the right frequencies for each range.
It helps to draw a graph for this.
Horizontal axis from 20Hz to 20kHz.
For this purpose you don't really need a detailed vertical axis, just label it 'high' and 'low'.
Mark all xover points on the hor scale and then draw for each range a line 'high' between the xover points, sloping down to 'low' on either side of the range. For a 4 way system you'd get 4 of these mountain-like curves. I always use different pencil colors for each range.
Pick a range and it is clear that going from left to right you first need a hpf and then on the right side a lpf.

If you are not confused enough ;-) : a hpf also can be seen as a low-cut filter, and a lpf a hi-cut filter. The graphs I described before make that abundantly clear.

jan

Last edited:
Yes indeed! Just fill in the right frequencies for each range.
It helps to draw a graph for this.
Horizontal axis from 20Hz to 20kHz.
For this purpose you don't really need a detailed vertical axis, just label it 'high' and 'low'.
Mark all xover points on the hor scale and then draw for each range a line 'high' between the xover points, sloping down to 'low' on either side of the range. For a 4 way system you'd get 4 of these mountain-like curves. I always use different pencil colors for each range.
Pick a range and it is clear that going from left to right you first need a hpf and then on the right side a lpf.

If you are not confused enough ;-) : a hpf also can be seen as a low-cut filter, and a lpf a hi-cut filter. The graphs I described before make that abundantly clear.

jan

Got it. i will post the graph later.
Btw I am alway confused. lol

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.