Parasound P/LD 1500 hissing sound in left channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Parasound P/LD 1500 hissing sound in left channel

hello all-newbie here with not a whole lot of tech experience...anyway there is the sound of 'bacon frying' in the left channel that gets louder with the volume control. it is in all inputs including direct. ive change out amps(i have two nad c272 amps) to no avail. the preamp had been sitting unused for a few months-when i first turned it on there was loud popping and then total cut out of sound. i did dissasemble the volume pot and used a little deoxit. now i have sound but the hiss is still there in left channel only-right side sounds fine. thanx for any help.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Tom, you probably have a damaged input part. The way to test for this is to get some FREEZE SPRAY, and carefully squirt each input part of the noisy channel and note a big change. It might get worse, it might get better, but IF you can isolate the part it is possible to get a replacement.
Old 18th July 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

it sounds like a bad electrolytic cap. that often give you a hissing sound.
see if the tops of any caps is poped or bulking up.
when you say laud popping and total cut out of sound, did the amp shot down. or just no sound?
Old 18th July 2012, 02:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Lots of good advice already, but wanted to add two things that are probably obvious (but I'll say 'em anyway for completeness). First, clean *all* the switches and controls, and work them over their ranges of movement, and reseat any connectors. Second, you can confirm a part is bad by swapping it with the one from the other channel. If you can easily get replacement parts, just replace the input devices of both channels, as JC said.

All good fortune,
Chris

Last edited by Chris Hornbeck; 18th July 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanx for the replies guys-the issue seems to have remedied itself-maybe a little too long on the shelf but that won't happen again. my system is used nearly everyday-should i leave the parasound powered on? this is my main preamp now and i hope to pair it with an older 'matching' parasound amp(hca 1500 or 2200mkii) in the very near future(hint, hint). thanx again...

Hide this!Advertise here!