how to hook up my preamp for recording?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
skipper is offline skipper  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to hook up my preamp for recording??

Hi All,

So I have done a internet search and I cannot figure out how to hook up my preamp for recording. I have a Conrad-Johnson PV5 preamp. I am trying to hook up a cassette tape recorder and turntable. I actually do have the cassette playing and turntable playing. The main trouble I am having is trying to hook up the output of the preamp to my computer to record on Audacity. My turntable is connected to the phono, and my cassette player is connected to the Tape 1.
The back of my Preamp has two out puts and a Record 1 and Record 2. One of the out puts is going to my amp. I tried connecting my rca-mini-jack cable to the Record 1 and to my laptop microphone jack. I opened Audacity and it did not seem to be recording through the line?
The front of my preamp has a tape1/tape2 and a souce monitor button. I messed with them a bit but it did not work.
Can someone help me with hook this up correctly.

Thanks!
Old 15th July 2012, 07:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The back of my Preamp has two out puts and a Record 1 and Record 2.
This has me a bit confused... Isn't that 4 outputs? Anyway, you should be able to hook up your computer as you would another tape deck.
Tape 1 and Record 1 would be for cassette tape; Tape 2 and Record 2 would be for the computer. Tape 1 & 2 are most likely the signal inputs, if I'm understanding correctly. Record 1 & 2 (outputs) would select whether you wish to record to cassette or to disc, respectively.

PS I'm not familiar with Audacity, but you may need to do a little hardware configuration (via software) to get things set right.

Last edited by sofaspud; 15th July 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 15th July 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
skipper is offline skipper  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, back of my preamp has two output 1 and output 2. I currently using Tape 1 as input and Record 1 to my computer. Perhaps you are right, maybe I have to configure the software to see the input. This is my first attempt at using Audacity, I am sure there are many other softwares but this one is free and seemed easy to use.
What does the souce monitor button do, is that needed?

Hide this!Advertise here!