Volume pot for line level stereo - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2012, 12:29 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
You have not given us any data from which we could make estimates of what you have done wrong.

The volume pot behaves as a load on your source. While it does that duty there will be some form of filter created.

The volume pot behaves as a source for your next stage (Power amplifier, or Buffer or, ?) Again there is the possibility of a filter being created.

You need to tell us what the initial Source output parameters are and the final load input parameters.
My source is a Iphone and my amplifier is the IcePower 200AC. I can't find input impedance in specs.

Mike
Old 17th September 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Why dont you use the volume control on the ipod ?
The only problem with that is if someone screws up and goes full output on the Iphone it is crazy loud on the speaker I am using. The volume control is more of a safety thing. Also the volume control works good for sources that don't have easy to access volume control like Sat Radio units.

Mike
Old 17th September 2012, 12:34 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The iphone must have a very powerful output then.
My ipod needs a pre amp to get full volume out of the amp.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It does. Of get full volume but it's still really loud. My speaker is 96db effeicent and with the iPod at full volume I can measure 116db

MIke
Old 17th September 2012, 12:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
well. it also depends on amp and speakers. with 25W amp and 85db speakers you need much of the power fom the amp. but with a 200W amp and 98db speakers, not that much
Old 17th September 2012, 12:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

oh. my ex was not far off i see
Old 17th September 2012, 06:15 AM   #17
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Depending on the output stage (Class D ?) of the ipod then it might be worth trying a parallel resistor across the outer pot terminals. In other words add a dummy load to the ipod. Maybe try around 33 ohm. The pot remains as it is. I believe some of these output stages rely in the low impedance of the h/phones to form the final stage of the low pass filter.

If that doesn't work and you still have no bass then there is a basic error or miscalculation somewhere.
Old 18th September 2012, 04:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Depending on the output stage (Class D ?) of the ipod then it might be worth trying a parallel resistor across the outer pot terminals. In other words add a dummy load to the ipod. Maybe try around 33 ohm. The pot remains as it is. I believe some of these output stages rely in the low impedance of the h/phones to form the final stage of the low pass filter.

If that doesn't work and you still have no bass then there is a basic error or miscalculation somewhere.

Maybe I am over simplifying this but if my signal is lacking bass when in the lower area of the volume pot (which has more resistance) and sounds good at the top level of the pot (which has lower resistance) then wouldn't adding more resistance make it even worse?

MP
Old 18th September 2012, 04:38 PM   #19
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Is this bass actually lacking, or merely that you want more bass at low volumes? If the latter, then that is just due to what your ears do. Perhaps you are used to 'loudness' controls which automatically boost bass at low volumes?
Old 18th September 2012, 04:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Is this bass actually lacking, or merely that you want more bass at low volumes? If the latter, then that is just due to what your ears do. Perhaps you are used to 'loudness' controls which automatically boost bass at low volumes?

No I am pretty sure it is lacking in the bass. The last two clicks of the volume control don't increase the output level much but the bass goes up maybe 6-8db

Its just not right. And after reading the article on the sticky in this forum I understand why but I don't understand how to fix it. LOL

Hide this!Advertise here!