Studiomaster 16-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello guys,

im new here in this forum and i wanna say hello to all of you!

I have bought an old Studiomaster 16-4 Mixing Desk. And i started to recapp and mod the Mixing Desk.

I recapped 10 of the 20 Channels and i changed the opamp in the mic pre section of these Channels for IC-Sockets so i can change the opamps when i want. The replacement opamps are ne 5534 pa, i used an 22pf cap to compensate the ne 5534. Sounds good so far.

Yesterday i started recapping and changing the opamps in the master section, i also bypassed the Caps with 0,1 uf Wima MKS 2. Now to my problem, when i rise the volume fader of the buss the vu meter rises with the fader... and i dont know why this happens. do you guys have an idea what is going wrong? the replacement opamps are the bb opa 134.

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
You propably, through some of the changes you made, introduced oscillation (>18 kHz) before the fader. The easiest way to find it is tracing the circuit with an oscilloscope. If you don't own one use your computer and soundcard with one of the many free programs. The sampling rate on your soundcard should be 96 kHz (or higher) so you can capture things above 20 kHz. E

sreten thank you for your input. but the opamp used in the buss section is an opa 134. the ne 5534 are used in the channel mic pres and with the compensation caps it works really good, so no problem with them at all.

But i did a mistake when i soldered the bypass caps on the buss elkos. i soldered 1 bypass cap on the wrong solderpoint, i soldered an 0.1 uf filmcap to 1 pin on the elko and to 1 pin on an resistor. i got a bad smell and 2 of the resistores are gone to the other world....

when i have no signal on the desk and i push the faders on the modded 2 channels of the busses. 1 channel is quiet and the other gets noise which rises with the volume fader of the buss. this is the channel were the 2 resistors burned... after realizing this i changed the opamps, cause i thought that they could be damaged. but still the same noise. then i changed the elkos and desoldered the bypass caps. but still the noise. maybe the transistors are damaged? or the other resistors? the other resistors looks good to me but maybe not?

so any tip or advice is welcome. I wanna finish this project cause this makes me headaches now, it is very difficult to find the problem. which part could be damaged?

maybe i should get an multimeter to check everything...

thanks and regards

I have a unit similar or same as this, which i have given up using, as half the pots are worn/loose.
If you crank up the gains on all the inputs, the white noise is considerable. But its just noise. and each channel is never the same noise level either.
Rattle each pot to see if it changes the noise level: it could eliminate bad pots first.
I think it uses 2SA970 transistors on the mic gain cct. worth changing.

sreten thank you for your input. but the opamp used in the buss section is
an opa 134. the ne 5534 are used in the channel mic pres and with the
compensation caps it works really good, so no problem with them at all.

thanks and regards

Hi,

They don't need the compensation capacitors. Bus op-amp is irrelevant.
Your just chucking away extra performance with unity gain compensation.

rgds, sreten.

@whizgeek. this is not a problem with the pots. i think this is because i soldered an bypass cap at to and resistor instead to an elko.

the other summing channel is no noise at all and it has the same recapping and mods like the other. and the channel had no noise before so i think there is something wrong with the parts... i will try to change the transistors and the other resistors and i hope to fix it this way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.