Active Tone Control and preamp. Need help urgent!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone..

I am building a little pre-amp and tone control, but i am having some problems.

I wanna set the gain higher, but can't figure out which resistors to change, and what value.

I am also pretty shure that i have done something wrong, specially because there is no signal ground connection un my circuit. The reason for this, is that the sound is almost gone, when i put ground on.

The tone control is somewhat working right now, but i would like it to be done right, and my first priority: get the gain up!

If someone can help me out i will be very happy!:D

This is the original schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is how i have soldered it on the board:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is a Baxandall active tone control. The mid-band gain is fixed at 1, so you can't increase it. Sorry.

I am also pretty shure that i have done something wrong, specially because there is no signal ground connection un my circuit. The reason for this, is that the sound is almost gone, when i put ground on.
I don't understand. The -ve supply is also signal ground in this circuit.

Once you get it working, you ought to add high value resistors at the input and output so that C2 and C8 have some DC bias. 100-470K should be fine.

Thank you for the fast response, i have the schematic from the site below. In the bottom there is a text, i thougt was about gain (quoted below)

41Hz Audio - Simple tone-control. might be

"The opamp can act as a pre-amp too, of course, with the right feedback.
(play with some resistor values, but NOT with R5/R6!)"

Also, i don't understand the ground thing either, and don't know where if i should just let signal ground go directly to amp or someone can solve the mystery.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hmm, from what I understand the active feedback is slightly different from the passive
only one cap needed in each place, instead of two
dont know if its 'essential'

btw, active feedback uses only linear pots, where the passive needs to be audio logs, to set the linear midpoint right

and like said previously, the gain is only available for the tone control boost settings, or else its just a unity gain buffer

CasperSort said:
i thougt was about gain
Of course you can use an opamp to get gain, but that would be a different (simpler) circuit.

CasperSort said:
Also, i don't understand the ground thing either, and don't know where if i should just let signal ground go directly to amp or someone can solve the mystery.
I don't understand what it is you don't understand. As I said, signal ground in this circuit is the -ve supply rail. What is the mystery? Connect input to input, input ground to -ve. Connect output to output, output ground to -ve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.