Help with preamp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all.

I've built a Velleman preamp but am having problems with it working. Besides soldering mic cables and crossovers, I haven't had any experience with building kits. Here are some pics of what I've done. I will gladly send it to someone to fix for me (will pay, of course) unless you can tell me something to try, I just don't know. I would love to have this work.

Preamp Project pictures by nonsuchpro - Photobucket

Thanks in advance!

What's wrong with it? What does it do (or not do)?

It doesn't pass signal. If i turn up the volume, it does make a slight buzz. Not sure if this is the issue but it only has 2 pins for IN and 2 or OUT. Since I'm using XLRs, I assumed I would do hot where it say "signal" and pair the black and ground on "ground". The trim pot is working, just no audio. Mic works direct into amp, but not through my box. :(

Hmmm.....
  • Maybe the input's not connected correctly.
  • What kind of microphone is it? Does it need phantom power?
  • What kind of wall-wart power supply is that? I hope it's DC and connected the right way around. (Don't try reversing it if you're not sure).
  • Sorry, but this is a lousy circuit for a mic preamp anyway.

[OT]
Seems like there's a gap in the market for decent kits. A few weeks ago someone else had problems with another, even worse kit in this thread.
[/OT]

Attachments

• monopre.jpg
    monopre.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Hmmm.....
  • Maybe the input's not connected correctly.
  • What kind of microphone is it? Does it need phantom power?
  • What kind of wall-wart power supply is that? I hope it's DC and connected the right way around. (Don't try reversing it if you're not sure).
  • Sorry, but this is a lousy circuit for a mic preamp anyway.

[OT]
Seems like there's a gap in the market for decent kits. A few weeks ago someone else had problems with another, even worse kit in this thread.
[/OT]

I double checked the input. Maybe I should try with something other than a mic. I know this is a bs circuit. I just want it working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.