SE-ONE Spatial Enhancer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Made an unusual purchase today.

Remember the Carver Sonic Hologram feature on their high-end preamp? It electronically creates IMHO the same wide-stereo effect as the Polk speakers that had additional drivers producing sound from the opposite channel but out of phase. It increases the difference between channels by simply mixing in content from the opposite channel with phase reversed.

Since then, others have done similar things, sometimes even with complicated digital controls. One of my low-end stereo televisions has a similar setting.

But I just picked up the the cheapest stand-alone model, just to play with. It's the BSR (I recall them producing a lot of low-quality high-quantity consumer junk) SE-ONE Spatial Enhancer. It cost me $8.77 from Goodwill. I'll surely get my money's worth of fun from it, though I'll probably leave it off most of the time. What can I say, I just love knobs though simple often sounds best.

I believe you are correct, Carver's 'Sonic Holography' and Polk's 'SDA' employ, respectively, active and passive implementations of what's known as inter-aural crosstalk cancellation (IACC). I still have, but stopped experimenting with decades ago, an IACC device which I had designed and built in the mid-eighties. While initially loads of fun, with some sounds seeming to eminate from the room corners, the hyper-stereo effect of my IACC device quickly proved itself the audio equivalent of a carnival fun-house mirror. Fascinating, but not realistic.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.