JA Pre and MyRef - FE Integration - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2013, 12:46 AM   #91
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

thanks to Andrew and Bob for the helpful suggestions.
i will order one also

regards
kp93300
Old 11th April 2013, 07:21 PM   #92
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

I have purchased a couple iterations of the JC-2 that you are talking about (1.2 and 1.6) and built both of them with PRP resistors and changed all caps to better quality ones except the supply caps which are really good (the BC ones).

I recently tested the JC-2 V1.6 against my DCB1, JC-80, Aleph P2.0 and some Tube buffers. We were 7 audio freaks to do the comparison. We also did compare different sources and amplifiers (All DIY).

Although the JC-2 sounds good I would not compare the sound stage to the DCB1 and JC-80 and Aleph P2.0 which better the JC-2 on almost all levels. The JC-2 has tendencies of sounding a bit clinical at parts but you won't find a better pre for the price, that I'll admit.

The Aleph P2.0 here sounds really good and has 128 stepped attenuator built in. We tested this one as well.
MOSFET SE preamplifier plus volume control 128 steps ! | eBay

The JC-2 on eBay is a very good preamp but hold your breath since I saw a new iteration of it that will be coming out soon and be much different and supposed to sound much closer to the original one.

Ciao!
Do
Old 11th April 2013, 08:33 PM   #93
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Very interesting Dominic. There may be some system differences but my impression is opposite yours - adds warmth if anything. I haven't heard any of the other pres you mention, but as much as I have resisted, with all the accolades there is probably a DCB1 build in my future.

I'm building a couple Pass power amps basically for comparison to the MyRef FE, and it appears it may be necessary to take the same approach with some other DIY preamps. The small one/two tube kits have always attracted my attention but I'm not sure if stepping up to something more sophisticated might be a better path.

I'll also add that when I started this thread I wasn't getting the SPL I wanted. I believe that was still the stock beta version of the FE amps. With the current RC build and a few upgrades the need for a lot of gain has diminished. For the past several months I've just been using the volume slider in JRiver through a DAC. My desire is to bypass that software chunk in the system so a discrete volume control will be needed again.

Please let us know when the new JC-2 version shows. If it has anywhere near the "bang for the buck" the current kits offer I be on-board. After the FE Final version is done it might be a good time to check out all the new volume control offerings.
Old 12th April 2013, 05:43 AM   #94
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Will definitely let you know when I get my hands on that new JC-2

How high did you bias the JC-2?

Thanks
Do
Old 15th April 2013, 12:42 AM   #95
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob,

Just wanted to share with you that I have changed all signal cabling to PTFE silver and RCA to CMC silver and this made much of an improvement on the JC-2. Still not a DCB1 but the sound is not clinical anymore. It is much warmer but in a good way.

Still I can't wait to get my hands on the new JC-2

Ciao!
Do

Hide this!Advertise here!