Lawo W990VS/9 - Connection Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am holger from germany and new to this board. I hope that somebody may help me. I got a Lawo W990VS/9 active fader her and would like to connect it via XLR or TRS connectors.

Here is a chart of the units until xxx/6 ..
http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/getfile.cgi?f==,3,S.3$Y-#4T-E]R97-T+VQA=V]?5SDY,"YP9&8`

Can somebody tell me where to connect the XLR 1/2/3 pins to and where to connect the +/- from the power supply (I got a flimsy 24 Volt PSU for the beginning). Do I need to connect more of the pins or would that be enough.

Thanks so much in advance

Holger:)

First of all, for a working link to the service docs one has to go to the corresponding page, under "LAWO W990". The first, smaller document has a plug pinout on the last page and a block diagram on the first. The second one, the schematic, clarifies a few things. That's all you need to get started.

+24 V goes on pin B14. B13 is power ground.
Not sure what to do with case ground (B12), might want to tie that to power ground (either directly or via an R||C combo or just a C of ~10 nF - there's like a gazillion philosophies on how to do grounding correctly).

The relays connected to pins B9..11 and C9..11 seem to be for unmuting another device once the faders are pushed up (fader start)...? Seems a common enough function in b/c equipment.

Inputs and outputs take a hot, cold, and shield, which happens to be what you get with balanced wiring. Let's say a = hot, b = cold, though it doesn't matter as long as you wire it the same everywhere.

If you only need one input and one output with no extra functionality, all you have to do is wire up input signals to EING. 1/2 (B/C6 and 18 for hot/cold, and 17 or 7 for shield) and outputs to AUSG. 1/2 (B/C1, 23 and 2).

Save for power ground which remained a little mysterious until looking at the schematic, it all seems reasonably straightforward. Look up XLR pinout if necessary, and you should be good to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.