Insert-send to balanced converter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Insert-send to balanced converter

Hey guys,
I have a piece of recording equipment that only accepts balanced inputs, and I would like to pull input from the Insert plugs on a board that will also be used for live mixing. My question is: is there a good/accepted way for doing this? Can I simply connect the tip and ring on the soundboard side to the tip on the recorder side, and connect the soundboard's ground to the recorder's ring?

the tip->ring connect is so that the audio is passed back in so live sound is still heard.

Now, this seems too crazy to work, and if it won't I'd appreciate an explanation of why not(if you have time!).

Thanks.,
-Adam
Old 5th June 2012, 01:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This will almost always work just fine. Maybe bring the recorder's ring connection back to the board to ground there * - no biggie but usually good practice.

Sorry for all the qualifying "maybes" but, as you know, there's a lot of strange stuff out there in pro-sound land, and no single standard. Anyway, easy and safe to try.

All good fortune,
Chris

* rereading, it looks like that was yout intention all along!

Last edited by Chris Hornbeck; 5th June 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Welcome Adam. Let us know how this works out for you please.
Old 6th June 2012, 03:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

This worked great! I recorded two tracks to test. I recorded from the insert using my converter cable and I ran the input out of an AUX send with everything at unity. I flipped the phase of one of the channels and still heard a little bit of sound and it turns out, the insert track was slightly louder than the AUX track. I'm not sure what exactly caused this because I did my best to leave everything at unity. The IN/OUT jumper has low enough resistance that it shouldn't be the problem. I guess I'll just count this one as bad board electronics.

Long story short:
It works!

Thanks,
-Adam

Hide this!Advertise here!