Which Aikido?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at an Aikido preamp but not sure what would best fit my needs. Input will be primarily a DAC but I'd like the option of adding a phono stage at some point (but this could be a separate unit.) I don't have a power amp yet but am looking at solid state 100wpc designs as well. I'll be powering a set of short Thors 87db @ 6 ohms, and will also need subwoofer outs.

I'm really liking the 5687 all in one, but I'm not really sure of the differences between that and the Octal. I'd like the preamp to bring in noticeable tube warmth and detail.

Thanks for any thoughts.

There is a lot written about this. But I remember someone who tried both said the octal version sounded best using 6SN7's.

But as usual all this has to be taken with a big pinch of salt ! There are so many variables that a statement like the one above need not be accurate.
But yes the 6SN7 is generally a good linear tube and so it could possibly sound quite good. That much could possibly be said without much error !;)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A properly designed preamp won't add much of anything to the music.

I built the Aikido All in One 6CG7 x 6CG7 and LOVE it.
My First Tube Preamp
This thread is pretty much start to finish and was really my first tube project PERIOD.

It sparked much interest in tubes for me and now I am working on a Simple P-P.

Many people say that the 6CG7 is like a 6SN7 in a mini envelope.
The 6CG7 is cheaper than most 6SN7's.

My experience has been that in 'some cases' a preamp improved the sound very significantly. So unfortunately the only real way of finding out in your system is to try it for yourself.
So even if you do not really need a preamp from point of view of sensitivity of the power amp a preamp ( with not too much gain !) shouldn't be a bad idea . A good preamp will add nothing . However if there are some interface issues between source and power amp ( some not easily identified ) then a preamp would probably solve that and improve the sound.
Bottom line : TRY it ! ;)

Many places you will see that the new reissue Tungsol 6SN7 is rated very highly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.