resistor(s) in ground paths to reduce hum, etc. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2012, 08:11 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
In David Davenport's article (Audio Component Grounding ...) that you have linked to, section 3.7 (Effective Interconnection Schemes) contains "Simple System of SLB Components" (3.7-3) where he has indicated that this is a viable technique of using Safety Loop Breakers in system connections.
In the above excerpt of your post, I believe that you mean "Group Loop Breakers" and not "Safety Loop Breakers". We don't want to anger other posters who may thing that you are advising that people defeat the safety ground!!!

Thanks for following up on the early posts and bearing with my difficult-to-understand description of the problem at hand. I actually don't have ground loop issues, but I wanted to try and further my understanding of these things.

I am still not clear on when the inserted resistors are "too much", e.g. their resistance is high enough to create new problems. There must be a sweet spot between reducing loop currents that cause hum and something undesirable as the resistance increases beyond 100 ohms...

-Charlie
Old 29th April 2012, 04:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Sorry Charlie, thought I'd sent you a reply.

I think a lot of the difficulty when talking about the problem of "earth loops" isn't confined just to audio but occurs in every power distribution systems, be it domestic grip supply, electric trains, indusrty or hifi systems and the different engineers in the various fields do use a different terminology, and thus a lot of confusion.

Unfortunately, Dave D's paper does call it "Safety Loop Breakers" - Ah well ...

About the rersistor values, I can't actually add any better information, or theoretical reasoning, just anecdotes that illustrate the same "fudged design" as Sonic calls it - just an ol' power engineer here!

Perhaps AndrewT, SY, or other folks, can add some theory to answer your query.

Hide this!Advertise here!