Shields in internally balanced equipment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have searched and read numerous threads on grounding but not found an answer to this query.

I am planning a Control Room Monitor unit with input selection and volume control. I intend to keep the signal path balanced from input to output. This is to keep the signal as untouched as possible during normal operation.

I understand that it is recommended to connect the shield connections at the input and output to the chassis - thus making the chassis an extension of the shield of any incoming/outgoing cables. The Chassis will be aluminium.

Does this mean that I can run the balanced signal between PCBs inside the chassis as unshielded twisted pair without much issue?

What are/if any, the disadvantages with this approach? Should I be running shielded cables internally instead.

Signal wires will be kept well away from AC power and only likely to be close to low level DC.

Many thanks in advance

The ESP page that epicyclic links to is excellent and if you want to indulge yourself in more, much of it by Bill Whitlock, author of the material on balanced stuff on Rod Elliott's site, have a look at

JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - APPLICATION PAPERS AND SCHEMATICS

JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - APPLICATION SCHEMATICS

possibly particularly

Build the "Hummer" to Find "Pin 1 Problems" in Equipment (17KB PDF)

Proper Grounding Inside Equipment Avoids Ground Noise Coupling (aka "Pin 1 Problems") (15KB PDF)

Be warned, this site induced download frenzy in me when I went there, thought I'd grown out of that some time ago.....

Thanks for the responses. Very useful. So it would seem that correctly grounding any equipment inside the case is key and mains/PSU noise will be of most concern inside the case.

How does this noise manifest itself in signals inside the case? Is it RFI that I can remove by shielding signal cables (with shield unconnected at either end)?

If all signal cables are twisted pair is it not likely that any injected noise will be common mode? In what situation might it be differential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.