DIY STEREO MIC-PREAMP for DSLR-Video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all,
I know there are some preamps out there, but there is too many threads to follow...

What I am looking for is a simple stereo preamp which provides the following:

Balanced inputs
48V phantom power
The ability for monitoring with a headphone.
The output level of this amp does not have to be high:
0dB at -27dBu or 0.04 Volt are sufficient.

The backstory:
I would need this preamp with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2.
This is a DSLR with very good video capabilities.

But if one wants to record audio professionally, you´ll end up with bulky preamps (Sound Devices, SQN etc.) being as expensive than the camera and being three times heavier and larger.
But many DSLR like the GH-2 have already mic inputs implemented, so there is no need for high output levels from a field mixer (like +6dBu studio level) or peakmeters, as peak levels are superimposed on the camara´s LCD.

I guess, with almost all phantom-powered mics it is just about making it a bit louder and adjustable in level -those cameras have adjustable gain, but it is very coarse.

Also many cameras don´t allow monitoring the audio while recording so a headphone amp as part of the mic preamp is needed.

Any thoughts on this, ideas and links?

Thanks a lot, all the best,
Salar

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.