Analog Signal to fire Contact Closure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Analog Signal to fire Contact Closure

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me with a fairly basic first project.

I have a video streamer which fires wipes across a television screen. I am looking to find a simple project board I can assemble to take an analog line level signal (1kHz Tone) and fire a contact closure or relay. The streamer has two terminals simply marked GND Trigger and after jumping it with a paper clip I am reasonably satisfied it's a contact closure. When I attached it to an unbalanced output on my audio interface it just would continually fire wipes.

I know a simple device should cost too much or be too difficult to solder together. I am not sure what voltage I am dealing with. Any guidance in the right direction would appreciated as right now I am lost on wikipedia.

Thank you!

Josh Vamos
Old 27th March 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

use a 4n32. Connect one end of a 1,000 ohm resistor to the center pin of the audio out. The other end of the resistor goes to pin 1. Pin 2 goes to the shell of the audio out connector. You can ignore the ring contact. Pin 5 goes to trigger and pin 4 goes to ground.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/81865/4n32.pdf
Old 27th March 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for your input!

Is this along the lines of what you meant?

Thanks!

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2d8gg78.jpg (47.1 KB, 86 views)
Old 28th March 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvamos View Post
Thank you very much for your input!

Is this along the lines of what you meant?

Thanks!

Josh

I am not the best at sketching things up.
Old 28th March 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can test the circuit with a battery for input. 9V would be fine. (+ to resistor) If it doesn't trigger switch the sweep terminal connections.
Old 28th March 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

esp did a couple of projects using analogue as trigger input.
Old 28th March 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default ESP Projects

Hey thanks! I'll search for posts by ESP

On another note just got back from my local electronic hobby shop and they only had the 4n31 and the 4n37 and 4n38.
Are those a suitable substitutes?

Thanks!

Josh
Old 28th March 2012, 05:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Yes, you can test the circuit with a battery for input. 9V would be fine. (+ to resistor) If it doesn't trigger switch the sweep terminal connections.
How does one SWEEP a connection?

The ESP circuit seems like it would work but I would need to modify it to remove the delay. I only want the switch open when a short audio signal is sent out. Also having it trigger on every cycle would not be ideal.

Not really sure how to go about wiring this more involved board. Anyone make ESPs circuit?
Old 11th April 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey Simon 7000 the just got the part. Going to pick up the resistor and the project box with a board...

Will report back.
Old 29th March 2014, 01:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Overdue

Hey all I was way overdue on getting back to you. I don't remember trying a 9v but I did get that drawing to work.
I just had to really crank up the tone to be extremely loud. Almost full scale on a professional line level output.

Hide this!Advertise here!