Audio Delay Circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2012, 05:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Delay Circuit

Hello,
I was looking for delay circuit of 2seconds, which can delay the audio signal (input) by digital or active\passive analog components and have delayed analog output.

I have come across one circuit but not able to find the components which is attached, that may also help you to suggest me any other circuit or method.

Regards,
Dileep
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AudioDelayCircuit2.PDF (37.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepkella85 View Post
Hello,
I was looking for delay circuit of 2seconds, which can delay the audio signal (input) by digital or active\passive analog components and have delayed analog output.

I have come across one circuit but not able to find the components which is attached, that may also help you to suggest me any other circuit or method.

Regards,
Dileep
Hi Dileep
This invites, as I understand momentary storage of audio, so first ADC - analog to Digital and DAC Digital to Analog with flip flops in between like 74HC74 or maybe JK type flip flops that can hold data until a clock releases that digital to be then converted from that state back to analog. the parts for the circuit in the attachment might also do the job precisely.. one benefit you have is a circuit description and schematic already provided.

Cheers / Chris
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply but the problem is that I am not able to get the components, yes off course I can go individually as you said but that will make the circuit bigger and audio results will not be up to the mark, that is why I am looking for compact and small circuit.

Thanks!
Deekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Daly View Post
Hi Dileep
This invites, as I understand momentary storage of audio, so first ADC - analog to Digital and DAC Digital to Analog with flip flops in between like 74HC74 or maybe JK type flip flops that can hold data until a clock releases that digital to be then converted from that state back to analog. the parts for the circuit in the attachment might also do the job precisely.. one benefit you have is a circuit description and schematic already provided.

Cheers / Chris
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Deekay
Audacity as a computer sound program has some capability for latency ( delay ) which might be worth investigating, it is correcting for delay but might be able to tweak to suit your needs, I found its settings at Preferences then recording Latency Test - Audacity Manual

Cheers / Chris

Last edited by Chris Daly; 22nd March 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

mute circlet:
Mute Circuit
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You want an audio delay, not just a timer, right?
For what? And what kind of fidelity do you need? Stereo?
You can always steal commercial circuits for your own non-profit use.
My analog active crossover has a bucket-brigade/filter type delay.
There are all kinds of longer digital delays, like they use to time-align the rear speaker towers for large outdoor PA.
If you just want low-fi, look for microphone 'echo' kits for truck CB radios.
There's lots of guitar-effect pedals with digital delays now.
In-between, there's digital effects rack boxes with decent delays.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For real audio grade delay like this you need to use a codec to convert the audio to digital formal, feed it through a bunch of Texas Instruments TPA5050 delay ICs and covert it back to analog. However, you will also need to program a microcontroller to set the desired delay time in the TPA5050 devices.
Old 22nd October 2014, 03:22 PM   #8
akm3726 is offline akm3726  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepkella85 View Post
Hello,

Regards,
Dileep
If you are still interested in this subject, look at
Audio Delay Module : High Level Functional Description
He uses a PIC chip to encode the audio and a DAC to regenerate it. Software is provided and parts are all available from sources such as Digikey.He is using only 8 bit audio and one channel, but that looks better than the 4-bit audio in the article you quoted.
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:25 PM   #9
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

What do you want it for?
What kind/quality of audio?
Mono/stereo?

1) 2 seconds is a very long time.

2) you will need 2 of the ones you posted, and that for just 1 channel, 4 total if stereo.

3) quality is horrible, only 3500Hz bandwidth and at that, unfiltered (it will buzz and sound robot like); if you need cleaner probably not reaching even 2 KHz and that with very aggressive filtering (think 24dB/oct or sharper).
Old 22nd October 2014, 06:36 PM   #10
akm3726 is offline akm3726  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally, I'm looking at delaying the audio in Computer generated videos to get the lip-sync right.

The PIC circuit will run at 11 KHz clock rate which should give you 5 KHz bandwidth. Probably AM radio quality sound - not hi-fi and not stereo.

Hide this!Advertise here!