Shielded Umbilical Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 07:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shielded Umbilical Question

Hi, I am building a Hagerman Bugle and associated power supply. I am building them in a separate chassis and had a quick question about the shield on the umbilical. I am using a 4 pin XLR connector and it is wired as shown below

Click the image to open in full size.

What I need to know is what to do with the umbilical shield. My best guess is to attach it to pin 1 along with the chassis ground wire on the power supply side only. The XLR connector also has a shell connection and I'm wondering if maybe I should ground it to that instead on the power supply side.

Thanks!

edit: forgot schematic oops!

Last edited by dbasford; 20th March 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Connecting the shield from shell to shell might be the easiest.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:12 AM   #3
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Your post is unclear about how many wires are in the cord, and what they carry. Do you have +/-/ground, V1/V2/ground, +/-/ground/shield, V1/V2/ground/shield?

Also, how you connect the output of the Bugle to the next stage, and what that next stage consists of, may be an issue, since the signal may eventually end up at a power amp with a supply ground connected to its chassis. You could end up with a ground loop from your Bugle all the way through to your power amp.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry, fairly new to this definitely forgot some info. The schematic for the bugle can be found here http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/bugle.pdf and the power supply here http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/powersupply.pdf. As you can see there is a +15VDC, -15VDC, power ground, and a chassis ground wire. Around these 4 wires is a shield and how to connect that is the issue.

I will be connecting to my power amp using RCA's, so it will be unbalanced. Amp is a Onkyo HT RC360, as this is my first diy project, a new amp will be in the works shortly after this is done.
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Connecting the shield from shell to shell might be the easiest.
Would that not create a ground loop as I have a wire already connecting both chassis together runnign through the umbilical?
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The loop area is about zero. Ground loops are only a problem when the area between paths is large or current enters the loop at separated points.

Plus this way the chassis's and shields are connected to the shell and the safety ground/protective earth is connected to the pin 1's.

Hide this!Advertise here!