Shielded Umbilical Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am building a Hagerman Bugle and associated power supply. I am building them in a separate chassis and had a quick question about the shield on the umbilical. I am using a 4 pin XLR connector and it is wired as shown below

index.php

What I need to know is what to do with the umbilical shield. My best guess is to attach it to pin 1 along with the chassis ground wire on the power supply side only. The XLR connector also has a shell connection and I'm wondering if maybe I should ground it to that instead on the power supply side.

Thanks!

edit: forgot schematic oops!

Last edited:
Your post is unclear about how many wires are in the cord, and what they carry. Do you have +/-/ground, V1/V2/ground, +/-/ground/shield, V1/V2/ground/shield?

Also, how you connect the output of the Bugle to the next stage, and what that next stage consists of, may be an issue, since the signal may eventually end up at a power amp with a supply ground connected to its chassis. You could end up with a ground loop from your Bugle all the way through to your power amp.

Sorry, fairly new to this definitely forgot some info. The schematic for the bugle can be found here http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/bugle.pdf and the power supply here http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/powersupply.pdf. As you can see there is a +15VDC, -15VDC, power ground, and a chassis ground wire. Around these 4 wires is a shield and how to connect that is the issue.

I will be connecting to my power amp using RCA's, so it will be unbalanced. Amp is a Onkyo HT RC360, as this is my first diy project, a new amp will be in the works shortly after this is done.

The loop area is about zero. Ground loops are only a problem when the area between paths is large or current enters the loop at separated points.

Plus this way the chassis's and shields are connected to the shell and the safety ground/protective earth is connected to the pin 1's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.