New Doug Self pre-amp design...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, you know that in the FPS i use 2 x 4 NE5534A in parallel symmetric inverted. That way i get very low distortion, low noise and tremendoes current drive.
One advantage of the NE over the LME is that it has 1/4th of the current noise. That can be important when you use it at impedances over 1kOhm for example an MM input. There it beats the LME in noise but not used as an MC input where the LME is better but not optimum. There you need AD797, LME49990 or such. There is VOLTAGE and there is CURRENT noise.

Good points Joachim.
What I meant with an earlier post, and what you are also saying, is that you should select your devices with the application and use in the circuit in mind.
For that, you need to read the article (any article) and understand the author's reasoning.
It is possible that you put more weight to one issue or another and that you make a different choice, but it's hard NOT to learn from other's ideas.

jan

Don't like the turnover points selected on the tone control circuits . I would prefer 50 hz instead of 100 currently used for the bass, 12 k. Instead of 10k for the highs .

10k is somewhat acceptable , the 100 hz is completely useless and while I favor full discrete designs, Im not against IC arrangements , especially since it allows one to op-amp roll , good when wanting play around with different opamps.

Last edited:
Don't like the turnover points selected on the tone control circuits . I would prefer 50 hz instead of 100 currently used for the bass, 12 k. Instead of 10k for the highs .

10k is somewhat acceptable , the 100 hz is completely useless and while I favor full discrete designs, Im not against IC arrangements , especially since it allows one to op-amp roll , good when wanting play around with different opamps.

Will you kindly explain why you prefer those values?

a.wayne wants to turn up the bass at 50hz, not the boom at 100hz.
7k to 10k treble boost is raspy, above this, such as ~12k is airy.
Ears (and many speakers) have the least performance at the farthest extents of the audio band, so if the tone controls have a limited number of selections, it would be good to do the most important things first. . . otherwise the tone controls could be really unimportant, and possibly counterproductive.

Well, it all depends on what you want. Doug Self's tone controls look like they're meant to be dialed down for LP rumble and hiss filter, not dialed up for ear contour.

Reactions: 1 user
I see why designs by Curl, Pass, Hansen, et al, sell and designs by D. Self are found mostly in books and magazines.

:p

Ears (and many speakers) have the least performance at the farthest extents of the audio band, so if the tone controls have a limited number of selections, it would be good to do the most important things first. . . otherwise the tone controls could be really unimportant, and possibly counterproductive.

Well, it all depends on what you want. Doug Self's tone controls look like they're meant to be dialed down for LP rumble and hiss filter, not dialed up for ear contour.

Good response ...:)

Actually, I'm sure Self's designs sell quite well, it's just that his name is not on them ;-)

jan

Jan,

Could you name a few....?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh brother, what ever. If you want tone controls and a million chips in your preamp, then please, go for it. If you think this is real engineering, please, go right ahead with your belief. I don't care about this little project, I'm not ever going to build it, and I don't care about anyone's justifications for it. You misunderstand. I don't have any complaints because I don't give a hoot about this project. Can you hear me now? I don't care about it!

:cop: If you really don't care then you are free to participate in any other conversation on the forum, otherwise you need to cool it.

This appears to be a respectable pre-amp module and one I may try. How about someone more in the know than I about op-amps publish a list of compatible ones that are plug-n-play with the NE5532. Drop-in replacements?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Well there's nothing to stop you to adapt the turnover points to where you want them. This IS diy, right?

jan

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet.

I take it the turn over frequencies are fixed unlike the earlier "Precision Preamp" which I think has superb tone controls. I would certainly think seriously of building a variant of it into any new build integrated amp of mine. I found the NE5532's pretty faultless in that particular application although I experimented with removing all electrolytics and using TL072's.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-built-listened-d-selfs-precision-preamp.html

Haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet.

I take it the turn over frequencies are fixed unlike the earlier "Precision Preamp" which I think has superb tone controls. I would certainly think seriously of building a variant of it into any new build integrated amp of mine. I found the NE5532's pretty faultless in that particular application although I experimented with removing all electrolytics and using TL072's.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-built-listened-d-selfs-precision-preamp.html

Hi Mooly,

The turnover frequencies are fixed, but the circuit is a little unusual in that it utilises low-value (1K) pots for both treble and bass in a near-normal Baxandall configuration. There seems to be a lavish use of op-amps for buffering throughout and low-value associated resistors. The bass feedback path to the control is independently buffered compared to the treble path. Tone defeat relays are provided and the input interface is a balanced design.