What type of diode should i use in this circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have built this circuit. It is the driver for a spring rev. transducer. In my reading 'being a novice' i have discovered that a there are specific diodes for the signal path. currently D1 and 2 are 1n4001's should i use something different?

Anyway; heres the schematic.

Cheers!

Attachments

• rvb-f5.gif
    rvb-f5.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 160
I got one of those reverb lines somewhere - are they any good for hi-fi use?
I was going to rig it up with a SE 2W valve driver and pick up the other end with a valve signal amplifier. What sort of signal in/out do these things need typically? I have absolutely no data and plenty potential to fuse the windings!

I'm not saying you can't use them - just you'd need 6 or so in the same place as the two silicon ones you're replacing
I would like to use a single component where possible in my mind if i can keep it as simple as possible the is less room for mistakes.

With regards to the reverb all the information I know is from the following websites: ::::::::: Accu Bell Sound Inc ::::::::: Spring Reverb

the first site has the translation for the code that should be printed on the unit somewhere.

Cheers

Thankls for that. Looks like my suspicion a ECL82 SE driver stage (-or for that maater, the SRPP circuit you mentioned) are suitable!
What it didn't say is what sort of level do I expect at the other end? All the Valve Wizard says is to use a couple of gain stages, so I assume its quite small, ~50mV say?
Oh yes and I remember where that reverb unit came from - it was salvaged from a 80s Sanyo Integrated amplifier with early "Karaoke" feature!!

the output depend on the impedance of the transducer it goes something like this:

Coil Impedance DC Resistance Output Voltage (Typ)
500 42 3.0mV
2,250 200 6.5mV
12,000 800 15mV
this was on the esp site. Spring Reverb
Very minimal output clearly. the other problem with these units it they are very boomy below about 200hz a roll off filter is required strait of the output of the pan. I like the idea of a sweep-able filter but have not researched it properly as yet.

I assume spring reverbs sound better with added crossover distortion? That is what the circuit will provide. The designer also seems unable to decide whether to use current or voltage drive, so he designs a crude voltage amp then uses negative feedback to raise its output resistance but then changes his mind and adds a resistor in parallel with the drive coil to lower it again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.