JC-80 eBay PCBs & Power Train - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

I think we should reconsider anything that might jeopardize your friend's employment standing. Wonderful as it might 'sound', the risk is not worth it.
Old 17th February 2012, 03:46 PM   #22
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
I think we should reconsider anything that might jeopardize your friend's employment standing. Wonderful as it might 'sound', the risk is not worth it.
He's not worried at all... He's pretty up in the chain. He just does not want to get involved with the project once the board has been completed and fully tested. He's going to hand this to us.

He's the one who suggested to do the PCB, so I don't feel guilty at all...

Let's continue this avenue.

Ciao!
Do
Old 17th February 2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Default Rectifiers

Same person told me to look into this rectifiers

HFA08TB60PBF - 8amps
HFA04TB60PBF - 4amps

He highly recommends them

Do
Old 17th February 2012, 05:32 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Rectifiers 'n Routing

Oh woeful pcbs -- will eight of those be enough for the rectifier pcbs? If so 'twood be interesting. They contain only a single diode but cost 3x as much so your accountant urges caution :-)

I have noticed that a four pin molex pcb mount will fit the output of the rectifier boards. One pin would go unused but it would be keyed to avoid the possibility of polarity confusion in the remote enclosure. Screw terminals are fine for the AC inputs. I ordered enough for ten rectifier boards and I have LOADS of the mating parts on old PC power supplies.

My plan for power routing is to place one connector at the rectifier pcb then solder everything thru to a connector at the end of the cable that runs to the JC-80 enclosure back panel. Along that route the common mode choke(s) will be located. The two rail conductors will be twisted inside a grounded shield.

Inside the JC-80 enclosure I hope to have space to layout standard spaces large enough to allow even the largest of regulators to be (re)plugged into gold plated bannana pins easily and quickly without polarity reversal risk.
Old 17th February 2012, 07:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Pinnochio, keep us posted on those regs!
I might be interested in a couple of those, depending on final price.
Old 17th February 2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Pinnochio, keep us posted on those regs!
I might be interested in a couple of those, depending on final price.
Will do!

Ciao!
Do
Old 17th February 2012, 09:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default RIP Aragon DAC

Now Wolfson is beginning to get very excited. Three years ago when his Aragon PCM63 based DAC got hit by lightning, Wolfson was sad. That enclosure will soon house a pair of JC-80 preamps and their regulators with not a lot of room to spare, but Wolfson now 'embraces' the lightning

Given that the Kubota is the baseline, its Vin, Vout hole pattern will be used to align the M-F banana connector pairs. Other regulators, ranging from simple 337/117 pcbs all have footprints that fit within the Kubota so can be made to fit. That will include the yet to be designed ultra low noise regulator pinnocchio has mentioned (unless it exceeds the outline of the Kubota).

Swapping rectifiers and regulators should be easy and risk free. If you doubt that preamp (re)configuration can be risky just ask Wolfsin how he knows
Old 17th February 2012, 10:31 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Pinnochio,

Please see LT 1033 datasheet for low noise, high stability implimentation of 3 terminal regulator with LM 329 as external reference. You also need 100 uf as reference lead bypass cap. This can be applied to both LM317 and 337 series regulators. Lower noise and better regulation than standard 3 terminal regulator for the cost of one extra resistor and an LM 329.

Use 1 n4148 in series with 22 ohm for input to output protection diode instead of 1n4000 type diode becuase they have lower capacitance for less RF feedthrough. The diode in parrallel with the reference set resistor remains 1 n4000 series. (reference Ben Duncan)

Last edited by ticknpop; 17th February 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 18th February 2012, 02:35 AM   #29
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
Pinnochio,

Please see LT 1033 datasheet for low noise, high stability implimentation of 3 terminal regulator with LM 329 as external reference. You also need 100 uf as reference lead bypass cap. This can be applied to both LM317 and 337 series regulators. Lower noise and better regulation than standard 3 terminal regulator for the cost of one extra resistor and an LM 329.

Use 1 n4148 in series with 22 ohm for input to output protection diode instead of 1n4000 type diode becuase they have lower capacitance for less RF feedthrough. The diode in parrallel with the reference set resistor remains 1 n4000 series. (reference Ben Duncan)
Really interesting. Do you have a schematic example as reference?

Thanks
Do
Old 18th February 2012, 03:56 AM   #30
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Same person told me to look into this rectifiers

HFA08TB60PBF - 8amps
HFA04TB60PBF - 4amps

He highly recommends them

Do