JC-80 eBay PCBs & Power Train

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think we should reconsider anything that might jeopardize your friend's employment standing. Wonderful as it might 'sound', the risk is not worth it.

He's not worried at all... He's pretty up in the chain. He just does not want to get involved with the project once the board has been completed and fully tested. He's going to hand this to us.

He's the one who suggested to do the PCB, so I don't feel guilty at all... :D

Let's continue this avenue.

Ciao!
Do

Rectifiers 'n Routing

Oh woeful pcbs -- will eight of those be enough for the rectifier pcbs? If so 'twood be interesting. They contain only a single diode but cost 3x as much so your accountant urges caution :)

I have noticed that a four pin molex pcb mount will fit the output of the rectifier boards. One pin would go unused but it would be keyed to avoid the possibility of polarity confusion in the remote enclosure. Screw terminals are fine for the AC inputs. I ordered enough for ten rectifier boards and I have LOADS of the mating parts on old PC power supplies.

My plan for power routing is to place one connector at the rectifier pcb then solder everything thru to a connector at the end of the cable that runs to the JC-80 enclosure back panel. Along that route the common mode choke(s) will be located. The two rail conductors will be twisted inside a grounded shield.

Inside the JC-80 enclosure I hope to have space to layout standard spaces large enough to allow even the largest of regulators to be (re)plugged into gold plated bannana pins easily and quickly without polarity reversal risk.

RIP Aragon DAC

Now Wolfson is beginning to get very excited. Three years ago when his Aragon PCM63 based DAC got hit by lightning, Wolfson was sad. That enclosure will soon house a pair of JC-80 preamps and their regulators with not a lot of room to spare, but Wolfson now 'embraces' the lightning :(

Given that the Kubota is the baseline, its Vin, Vout hole pattern will be used to align the M-F banana connector pairs. Other regulators, ranging from simple 337/117 pcbs all have footprints that fit within the Kubota so can be made to fit. That will include the yet to be designed ultra low noise regulator pinnocchio has mentioned (unless it exceeds the outline of the Kubota).

Swapping rectifiers and regulators should be easy and risk free. If you doubt that preamp (re)configuration can be risky just ask Wolfsin how he knows :mad:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Pinnochio,

Please see LT 1033 datasheet for low noise, high stability implimentation of 3 terminal regulator with LM 329 as external reference. You also need 100 uf as reference lead bypass cap. This can be applied to both LM317 and 337 series regulators. Lower noise and better regulation than standard 3 terminal regulator for the cost of one extra resistor and an LM 329.

Use 1 n4148 in series with 22 ohm for input to output protection diode instead of 1n4000 type diode becuase they have lower capacitance for less RF feedthrough. The diode in parrallel with the reference set resistor remains 1 n4000 series. (reference Ben Duncan)

Last edited:
Pinnochio,

Please see LT 1033 datasheet for low noise, high stability implimentation of 3 terminal regulator with LM 329 as external reference. You also need 100 uf as reference lead bypass cap. This can be applied to both LM317 and 337 series regulators. Lower noise and better regulation than standard 3 terminal regulator for the cost of one extra resistor and an LM 329.

Use 1 n4148 in series with 22 ohm for input to output protection diode instead of 1n4000 type diode becuase they have lower capacitance for less RF feedthrough. The diode in parrallel with the reference set resistor remains 1 n4000 series. (reference Ben Duncan)

Really interesting. Do you have a schematic example as reference?

Thanks
Do

Joined 2005
Paid Member
A combination of the LM329 and techniques in the acoustica article gets the most out of 3 terminal regulators with a larger parts count , but the cost of 3 or 4 resistors, a cap or two, and an LM 329 isn't that much .... The acoustica article refers to the use of the LM 329 in the adjust circuit for lowest noise and best regulation. it also recommends adding them to the final dual regulator circuit.
Nag, nag, nag

I'll draw up a circuit combining the acoustica final circuit, the LM 329 implimentation. and the Ben Duncan low RF feed through short circuit protection

Last edited:
Fanatacism Unbridaled?

There we were, marching thru the pit of despair, alternativez multiplying like tormentorz, when ticknpop unleashed a torrent of ideas. Well done.

At the risk of fanatical obsession, what do you guys think about 'early warning' feedback from a remote voltage sensor just after the cap multiplier? Wolfsin runz for cover :bullseye:

The 2SK2013Y / J313Y fets work in conjunction with C2 and C3 to 'multiply' their actual capacitance to a much larger apparent value. It would seem that some attempt to match some characteristic of those active and passive devices might contribute to dynamic balance. What should be matched?

I will most probably do that. I have a few boards on hand. I have to buy the parts and assemble but I'm sure it is a really good PSU.

I also have one AMB's o22 which is supposed to have lower then 12uVac @ 30V output and lower than 6uVac @ 12V output... These are really good numbers... It does not tell all the story and a listening session will be needed for all of them.

I'm also working with wolfsin on a more custom setup described above.

Ciao!
Do

yeah the o22 is a nice unit, but its a pity its so huge! i have 4 of them here, but any time i go to actually use them in a build they turn out to be too awkward and thats even with mounting the fets on the underside to use the chassis as the heatsink. also the voltage in both amount that can be dropped safely as well as upper Vout limit is..well..limited. i use the o11 though and even its a bit big.

i would like one day to design a pcb for my own use using SMD and a 4 layer board to try and make it a more useable size

btw i got your email, sorry i've just been a bit busy here the last day or 2, i'll check it out for you in the next couple of days and get back to you

yeah the o22 is a nice unit, but its a pity its so huge! i have 4 of them here, but any time i go to actually use them in a build they turn out to be too awkward and thats even with mounting the fets on the underside to use the chassis as the heatsink. also the voltage in both amount that can be dropped safely as well as upper Vout limit is..well..limited. i use the o11 though and even its a bit big.

i would like one day to design a pcb for my own use using SMD and a 4 layer board to try and make it a more useable size

btw i got your email, sorry i've just been a bit busy here the last day or 2, i'll check it out for you in the next couple of days and get back to you

Hi qusp,

I'm actually working on a regulator PCB with a friend of mine. We're doing a LM pre reg then Jung reg. I was thinking of using a combination of through hole and smd in a two or four layer.

Rectifiers won't be on-board as i'd like to keep AC as far as possible from sensitive circuits.

No worries for the headphones. I won't be getting my Wire until march/april since I also bought the amp and mosfets.

Ciao!
Do

yeah i know, i was just sayin =)

hmm, you must be using opa604 or something else non-standard to get high enough vout with a jung reg, you wont be able to use anything truly low noise for the opamp at this supply voltage, or are you not using an opamp for the error amp?

yeah i know, i was just sayin =)

hmm, you must be using opa604 or something else non-standard to get high enough vout with a jung reg, you wont be able to use anything truly low noise for the opamp at this supply voltage, or are you not using an opamp for the error amp?

Can't remember which opamp it was, I'll check this and get you an answer. May also replace the opamp with discrete components.

Do you have any pointers you think could help?

Ciao!
Do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.