If You Don't Have a SIT, Fake It... - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2012, 08:09 PM   #81
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp147 View Post
... only, because I've such a DIY PS on stock...
Gott sei Dank that you don't have a loaded gun on the stock...
Old 14th April 2012, 07:19 AM   #82
tp147 is offline tp147  Germany
diyAudio Member

Oh,

I've some loaded guns arround here, but I didn't find a useful place for them in my Hifi gear yet

cheers

Thorsten
Old 29th April 2012, 12:05 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

This is the latest version of the SIT preamp I've been trying out, with current source enhancement on the input buffer (and a sex change). Depletion mode MOSFETs are used lavishly throughout as current sources (relatively high current capability with high impedance, minimum parts count).

I tried using a 2SJ74 in the input buffer position, and was rewarded with some high frequency ringing in the step response, which also shows up in the gain-phase measurement. This is perhaps due to the relatively enormous input capacitance of the 2SJ74 (a little bird was whispering in my ear, "use the J175", but I didn't listen).

The attached schematic now shows the J175 (listen to the bird!), and I'll be evaluating that version soon. Both versions (2SJ74 and J175) fared very well in simulation, with about 1/2 the distortion of the original version of this preamp.

The 2.7 pF compensation capacitor shown in the schematic may be replaced with a "gimmick" for optimum response (fast but a trifle overdamped).
Attached Images
File Type: gif Schade2.gif (36.8 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by wrenchone; 29th April 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: sp
Old 1st May 2012, 03:13 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

The little bird that occasionally whispers in my ear was right on, as substituting a J175 for the 2SJ74 at the input totally cleaned up the linear square wave response. It's now overdamped with no ringing (and a little slow, if you ask me). Check out the attached waveforms to see what I mean. The trace with the square sides is the input, and the one with the slightly sloped sides is the output. Right now I'm using a 2.7pF NPO disc for compensation, and it looks like a smaller cap would be more optimal. If I can find a regulation cap. I'll use that, otherwise, it's gimmick time...

When I get some spare time, I'll let the HP8903A analyzer take a look. My goal for this project is a circuit that reads at the analyzer residual level for both 1k and 10k input, at input levels that would result in 0.5-1V of output. It's a test of both the circuit and my setup.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Trl1.gif (7.9 KB, 407 views)
Old 1st May 2012, 05:49 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Here's a magnified view of the response to really check out the switching edges - it's pretty symmetrical, so one edge will do...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Trrr.gif (7.3 KB, 367 views)
Old 1st May 2012, 08:44 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Does the j175 have a counterpart. I have heard of j310/ j271, but this one is new snd still accessable.
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:43 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Siliconix used the same process for the J174-J177 series (chopper/switch) and the J270-J271 series (linear amp). The J175 and J271 have overlapping IDSS range - the J271 is selected for a narrower range of IDSS. If you have some (J271), it's a possible substitution. If you don't have them, good luck.. The J174-176 series is still available in surface mount and as NOS. I just bought 500 pieces of Fairchild J175 from Electronic Goldmine - they may still have some left. Cheap, too.
Old 2nd May 2012, 03:00 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

One more thing - I selected the J175 for input duty because I have them (always a good reason, if you know how to use what you have), they have a low input capacitance (look it up and compare it to the 2SJ74 - if you are serious about building stuff you should be downloading these data sheets while they're still available!), and a reasonable transconductance (some data sheets will list this, even though it was a part slated for chopper duty).

The J271 was no doubt a selected version of J175 slated for linear amp duty. For a while, it was readily available from Mouser - no more. One other possibility would be the 2N5462, which you can probably still find on Ebay. The input capacitance is where it needs to be, but the transconductance is lower than the J175/J271. Any port in a storm...
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:06 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Thanks on both counts. I can get get the j271, but may get the 175 as well.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:47 PM   #90
treuben is offline treuben  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Hi Wrench,
here is my take on "turning a (MOS)FET into a SIT/triode". Fair Zin, low Zout, BW(-3dB)=1MHz, rail-to-rail swing (almost), high PSRR, Id about 15mA, sounds wonderfull - what more could a man want ?

Built, tested, measured (except for THD) - here is the schematics:
Does this one need any matching please Juma? Is it ok to build as is for a preamp (with a pot in front?

Hide this!Advertise here!