cs3318 and arduino - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2012, 03:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

you are right and I'm not fully awake yet (lol). yes, you do some kind of init writes, not reads. I think I confused reads since the reads are 'strange' on this chip and I'm still not sure if my code will ever need to do a read command.

as for init, I plan to have a reset wire from the cpu to the CS chip. kind of annoys me having to go outside of just i2c to control the chip but its somewhat common to have to wiggle a reset wire, physically. I can have a reset manager or timer do the reset wire for me, but since I have to feed the chip some serial bytes as well, its probably best the cpu wave the reset line, then forcefeed it some tasty bytes when a reset on the main system has to happen.
Old 7th February 2012, 06:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

btw, is there any significant reason not to use the cs3308, which is lower cost and runs on the 'easier' dual5v rails?

pin wise and software wise, it looks identical, no?
Old 7th February 2012, 06:51 PM   #13
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
btw, is there any significant reason not to use the cs3308, which is lower cost and runs on the 'easier' dual5v rails?

pin wise and software wise, it looks identical, no?
I don't think so

Gerhard
Old 7th February 2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The "high-voltage" versions are normally for use with higher signal levels where +/- 5V do not give enough headroom. If you can stay within the limits of +/-5V the difference should be minimal (or none at all).

/U.
Old 7th February 2012, 07:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I was planning on having a front-end voltage divider network, anyway. if I drive this 3318 from a behringer dcx2496, its already too high as it is, even the so-called high voltage version.

it almost looks like a marketing joke to me. 3v diff and they say its for pro audio use? but its not balanced. and not enough extra headroom to justify the cost. is it? does not seem to be.

I guess you could design a board that has 78xx/79xx chips on it and populate with 05 chips for the lower voltage 3308 and put 08 chips in or 09 chips in for the 3318.

if it was dual 12 or 15, I'd understand having 2 series of chips. but why did cirrus do this and 'only' do it at 8/9 v level? seems odd to me.
Old 7th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I'm running the balanced outputs of the DAC on the DCX, which runs off of 5V, into a balanced to se opamp and then straight into the CS3318. The +/-9V let me go a bit into gain so I can send out up to 5VRMS, for those who want to use it with pro levels.
Of course with the RC5 remote and display build into the DCX, it all works like a charm
If you want to use this with a DCX you'd want to chuck whatever is in there now, after the DAC.

jan
Old 7th February 2012, 08:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

ah, you go from dac output, which is much lower; compared to the op-amp dcx output. ok, that's one way to solve the over-input problem

admittedly, the dcx is very high output and unusual for consumer use.

I still think I'll have a voltage divider ('hard pot') stage up front and people can configure any level of pre-atten (including no atten) so they won't be over-driven.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I think you'll get better SQ if you go Jan's way, especially if you're using the stock DCX output stage.
Old 8th February 2012, 02:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

note that my use for the 3318 is not dedicated for the dcx.

I'm building a general purpose 8ch preamp. sometimes it can be used in stereo 2ch mode (headphones), sometimes in crossover multiamp mode and for some people it could be a home theater preamp with 7.1 mapping to 8 channels.

I don't want any dcx specific things on this board.

my own plans for my dcx will be to replace its dac and even its front end receiver chip; but the 8ch vol control system is a separate project, entirely.
Old 9th March 2012, 08:20 PM   #20
AAK is offline AAK  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Just finished testing my CS3318 board. All I can say is Wow, very nice sounding. Clean and precise. Thanks for the inspiration jan and linuxworks. Now back to my next project.

Best Regards,

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1740.JPG (352.9 KB, 475 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!