audio matrix - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2012, 12:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default audio matrix

Hi,

I worked on alot of kits while I was younger, but it's been long ago and almost totally new to audio electronics.

This having been said, I was planning to build some audio matrix to improve my basic multi-room system.

I already have different sources I can control, located in a central place (in the basement). I also have equiped 4 rooms with nice speakers. In the central place, I have one amp for each room, cabled to each room with audio cable. This is working quite good for me, but is a little bit too basic.

Now, I would like to add the possibility to add the feature to merge zones (what is called "party mode" on many commercial multiroom systems) and add more flexibility for the sources. Which led me to the idea of an audio matrix.

Until now, I haven't found many practical ideas on the net about this kind of project (why ?)... I ended up with the idea of using an Analog Device ADG1209. This analog muxer would enable me (used as demuxer) for each source to have the possibility to switch the output to each zone independently. Little schematic :

Audio Src #1 ----- \___ Zone #1
|
-- \___ Zone #2
|
-- \___ Zone #3
|
-- \___ Zone #4

Audio Src #2 ----- \___ Zone #1
|
-- \___ Zone #2
|
-- \___ Zone #3
|
-- \___ Zone #4

First, do you think it does make sense ?
Then, if yes, do I have to add something after the demuxer or just have to join the output for zone #1 from demuxer #1 and demuxer #2, and since I'll switch off demuxer#2 output to zone #1 when i switch on demuxer#1output to zone#1 it won't hurt ?

Maybe you would have some alternative idea ? Any pointer to some other info / site / project would be of great help...

Thx in advance,

Mika D'Oh !
Old 31st January 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

google audio crosspoint switch and you should get some answers
From what I gather from your description: the power amps are in the individual rooms with the speakers, away from the switch
To avoid hum and RF interference you will require balanced wiring from switch to amps. If there is any distance distance the I/Os need to be low impedance
You must also consider the load of the amps at the output of the switch. If the switched-in load is signifficant you will loose signal level everytime an amp is added to a switch output. E
Old 7th February 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thx for your answer, it opened me other perspectives while searching other references.

No, the power amp are not in the different rooms, they are centralized, aside the audio server. Then there's audio cabling from the power amp in the centralized room to the different rooms where the speakers are.

I found the Analog Devices ADV3229, which is a 8x8 analog crosspoint switch in a chip. I think it might be more appropriate than the one I mentioned in my previous post. The only "problem" for me is that this chip won't be easy for me to sold (I don't have experience in such small soldering nor do I have sophisticated iron)... but I'll manage..
I still have to find where I could by it (and not in batch of 1000 pieces !)...

Would you have any advice or link regarding this project, don't hesitate to post !
Old 7th February 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Check the Mitel MT8806/8808 specs. I have those in 28 pin DIP. E
Old 7th February 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Great, seams to be what I need... and fairly cheap !
What do you use them for (if I may ask) ?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Funny you should ask....I don't remeber. For a custom audio control project, I suppose. E

Hide this!Advertise here!