AD797 Preamp based on stolen trademark

Thanks for advice

Weilliang Audio is one of the more reliable shop in China. They provide good value within the constraint of China manufacturing in term of parts sources. Weilliang used to be on DIYAUDIO, but had not returned for many years. If you get genuine Analog Device AD797ANZ, the IC's, Japanese ALPS27 potentiometer, R-core transformer and case alone are worth what you paid for. Let us know how it sounds to you when you get it.
Thanks keilau for advice. I will purchase AD797ANZ from Farnell and will get back with results as soon as I get the board.
Otherwise, I am also satisfied with Weiliang. Recently I have purchased from them a board "inspired" with Accuphase A-60 without power devices and capacitors to make sure I have genuine parts.
There is a great deal of downplaying Chinese products which is wrong: they are evolving at high pace. Very soon they will be serious contenders in every quality level.
Cheers:)
PS: Interesting AD797ANZ costs €13,19 before taxes at Reichelt /Germany. I have already placed an order. Four pieces cost €52,76 compared to US $61.74 for complete Weiliang board with everything except transformer. Are they wizzards or we pay too much? :eek:

One thing is certain: their boards are simply good.

Last edited:
Weilliang is known for telling customer the exact parts they receive. The AD797ANZ IC is an option they offer and much cheaper than you paid for. Not sure what to think about this. The MBL6010D is line level only in this clone. LME49710 or even NE5534 may work just fine. What does yours come with?

Weilliang is known for telling customer the exact parts they receive. The AD797ANZ IC is an option they offer and much cheaper than you paid for. Not sure what to think about this. The MBL6010D is line level only in this clone. LME49710 or even NE5534 may work just fine. What does yours come with?
Initially I wanted to purchase complete unit in black-gold chassis but shipping cost was too high so I decided for version 3:

Version 3: ALPS27 potentiometer+AD797*4.

Even though I have purchased a version with AD797 and ALPS potentiometer I plan to rebuild it with original essential parts. I am curius to see the difference. I also have purchased complete Dartzeel NHB-108, but I have also purchased two pairs of bare boards to build them from my components. I don't care if I don't achieve audible result. What matters to me is to explore and play.

Now a question: there are 13 different models of AD797 whereas particular model ANZ has entirely different description "8-Lead Plastic Dual In-Line Package [PDIP]" I assume that this is interchangable with all others and even with JRC5534. Is that just a simple replacement: pull one from the socket and then push another at the same place and it works, even better?

My first 18 years I was a pure musician. For me an "ordinary" school was a sideshow. I loved music, I have slept with my trompete and later was constantly playing guitar. Rhe last instrument I played was tuba. After the grammar school I have decided to abandon active participation in music music altogether for selfish reasons. A friend of mine, a professional musician has told me "Music is good hobby but a lousy profession". I have understood his message and decided to study something usefull: chemistry and that was a good decision, but love for music has remained. I like acoustic instruments and vocals without microphones. Mostly I have attended classical concertos, predomonantly chamber music. I didn't listen too much recorded music because that impression of presence of the stage was absent. Quite recently I have started investigating audio technologies and it is fun. Untill now I have made a couple of good amplifiers and now I am looking forward to further improove sound with preamp.

Thanks for your advice. I do indeed appreciate that.

Hi, I used Chinese (presumably fake) AD797 in a phono build last year, my track record for successful builds is not good!!

Not a chance of a fake, there is not one IC op-amp you could rebrand with that pin out.

I will repeat again there is NO ONE in China or anywhere running a fab making and assembling wafers of fake parts. They are all re-brands of parts where the markings have been erased.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree - there’s lots of this going on. I once made the mistake while living in Taiwan of ordering an A-D off eBay (ESS 923 IIRC) and what arrived had the correct marking but did not look right. I soldered it in and got smoke. I complained directly to eBay and got the correct part a week or so later (this was from a HK supplier).

The lesson is never ever buy semis off of eBay or from HK ‘hobby kit houses’ - only buy from recognized distributors: Mouser, Digikey, RS, Avnet etc.

When I worked in the industry, company policy was if we had a bad production batch, it was destroyed - usually they ground the parts up. If not, this stuff ends up in the 3rd and 4th tier distribution supply chain.

Reactions: 1 user
One slight correction, we did have a foundry steal masks and run parts. In that case they were technically fake but were fully in spec because they were also the same.
At AliExpress, I found AD797ANZ at $16 a piece and many more under US$2. Are you saying that they all work the same?
Buy AD797ANZ and get free shipping on AliExpress

Similar situation for LME49710. Have you any lab test comparison between the expensive and cheap version?

Last edited:
At AliExpress, I found AD797ANZ at $16 a piece and many more under US$2. Are you saying that they all work the same?

Similar situation for LME49710. Have you any lab test comparison between the expensive and cheap version?

I said that's for you to find out, if someone re-brands 5534's as 797's and sells them for $2 they don't work the same for obvious reasons. You can probe out a genuine 797 with a VTVM from the external pins, there is no other part that will match.

I said that's for you to find out, if someone re-brands 5534's as 797's and sells them for $2 they don't work the same for obvious reasons. You can probe out a genuine 797 with a VTVM from the external pins, there is no other part that will match.
Yes, Scott, I'm all ears or eyes. I've heard people say that you can put them
in test circuit and measure them and find out that way. But, a simple VTVM
test would be great. Count me in to please. Cheers,

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Please, excuse my ignorance. How do I use a VTVM to tell a genuine AD797 from a relabeled 5534 as 797?

You really want to give the fakers that hint ?? Why are you guys even bothering with this ??
Don't forget that if we all buy from a reputable source, there would be no fakes. Trying to buy a 797 for $ 2 is shooting us all collectively in the foot, big time.
Don't create the demand!

Jan

Last edited:
Yes, Scott, I'm all ears or eyes. I've heard people say that you can put them
in test circuit and measure them and find out that way. But, a simple VTVM
test would be great. Count me in to please. Cheers,

The 5534 nulls to V+ on pins 1 and 8. The 797 to V- on pins 1 and 5. There will be equal resistors if measured at the pins (make sure the voltage burden of your meter is <.5V or you might see an ESD diode). Jan, the fakers can't do anything about the pin out.

A real LT1028 would have 130 Ohms rather than 12K on pins 1 and 8 if it was a rebranded 5534.

Last edited:
You really want to give the fakers that hint ?? Why are you guys even bothering with this ??
Don't forget that if we all buy from a reputable source, there would be no fakes. Trying to buy a 797 for $ 2 is shooting us all collectively in the foot, big time.
Don't create the demand!

Jan
It is a reality that many of us DIYer get kits or PCB from e-bay seller in China. The demand is already created and there is no way to stop it. Before I solder any of those transistor or IC to the PCB, I want to know if they are genuine parts. If you search for post under my user name, you will find that I am a strong advocate for verify and replace when getting kits from Chinese seller. Any information to identify the fake parts is valuable to us.

Getting genuine parts in small quantity is not always easy. When I need 2sk2013/2sj313, the only source I could find was fellow DIYAudio forum member prakit in Thailand.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/232093-fs-tos-2sk2013-2sj313-9.html#post6149875

Last edited:
It is a reality that many of us DIYer get kits or PCB from e-bay seller in China. The demand is already created and there is no way to stop it. Before I solder any of those transistor or IC to the PCB, I want to know if they are genuine parts. If you search for post under my user name, you will find that I am a strong advocate for verify and replace when getting kits from Chinese seller. Any information to identify the fake parts is valuable to us.

Getting genuine parts in small quantity is not always easy. When I need 2sk2013/2sj313, the only source I could find was fellow DIYAudio forum member prakit in Thailand.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/232093-fs-tos-2sk2013-2sj313-9.html#post6149875
Thanks keilau!:)

You have helped me a lot and I do agree with your point of view. If there are legal issues regarding IP I am sure lawyers of large corporations should be concerned with that not we, diy-ers who purchase certain products just for fun. I don't know how my hobby may harm interests of corporations who have multi-billion annual turnovers. Often, that intellectual property is, modestly speaking "borrowed". Patents, usually protect non-existent "original" works, just to intimidate potential competitors.

I am not the one who doesn't care about intellectual property - I earn for living by marketing my own IP. However, depriving colleagues from information just for sake of protecting interests of large corporations is childish. A mirror picture of Robbin Hood.:D

That's an interesting double standard.

Jan
Not really. There is no way to sell IP without disclosure. Once you put the product on market competitors will be able to reveal all your secrets without having to read DIY forums. :rofl: So, depriving colleagues from information just because of "protecting" interests of big corporations is really childish.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks keilau!:)

You have helped me a lot and I do agree with your point of view. If there are legal issues regarding IP I am sure lawyers of large corporations should be concerned with that not we, diy-ers who purchase certain products just for fun. I don't know how my hobby may harm interests of corporations who have multi-billion annual turnovers. Often, that intellectual property is, modestly speaking "borrowed". Patents, usually protect non-existent "original" works, just to intimidate potential competitors.

I am not the one who doesn't care about intellectual property - I earn for living by marketing my own IP. However, depriving colleagues from information just for sake of protecting interests of large corporations is childish. A mirror picture of Robbin Hood.:D
Most of the "clone" product on e-bay steal only the name of the product, but not the intellectual property. They either do not have the IP information and use only the simplified circuit in PR literature, or the real circuit is cost prohibitive to build. Some famous designer like John Curl, Nelson Pass release their design to the public making it legal to copy. We must protect the IP of small outfit of high quality product such as the AMB Laboratories if we want those product to be continuously available to the DIY community.

A good example is the MBL6010D preamp of this thread. The e-bay clone is nowhere near the real preamp. If the buyer has to replace all the AD797, it will cost more than the clone as I pointed out in earlier post.
One slight correction, we did have a foundry steal masks and run parts. In that case they were technically fake but were fully in spec because they were also the same.
I am very intrigued by scott wurcer's comment.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"I am not the one who doesn't care about intellectual property - I earn for living by marketing my own IP. However, depriving colleagues from information just for sake of protecting interests of large corporations is childish. A mirror picture of Robbin Hood."

So you'd get pissed off if someone stole your IP, but its ok to leverage someone else's 'IP brand' through mislabelled fake parts?

Double standards indeed.