Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 09:50 PM   #21
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

MBL is a trademark. The image you showed is a logo. If I offer a drink for sale and call it Coca Cola or use the Coca Cola trademarked name to sell it, I don't need to have the red disk with stylized white lettering to be infringing their trademark.

This vendor is a thief and dishonest. I can't understand why you would defend that.
Old 13th March 2013, 09:07 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hello !
Can anyone confirm that there are no ad797 in the MBL 6010D but only ne5534 ?
I have 2 questions.
I understand that in the MBL the inputs are buffered before reaching the pot . As this is uncommon could it be one of the reason of great performance ?
Which pot and value is used in the MBL preamp ? I cannot understand from the pictures.
Thanks a lot
Kind regards,
gino
Old 15th March 2013, 08:09 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Hello !
Can anyone confirm that there are no ad797 in the MBL 6010D but only ne5534 ?
I have 2 questions.
I understand that in the MBL the inputs are buffered before reaching the pot . As this is uncommon could it be one of the reason of great performance ?
Which pot and value is used in the MBL preamp ? I cannot understand from the pictures.
Thanks a lot
Kind regards,
gino
Since no one has responded to you, I'll offer an non-authoritative response. . My take is that older versions of the 6010 utilized only NE5534s, while newer version utilize both the AD797 and NE5534. I don't know if that is true, and if true, which which version began including the AD797. Perhaps, someone who actually knows what they're talking about may yet respond.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 15th March 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 15th March 2013, 08:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Since no one has responded to you, I'll offer an non-authoritative response. . My take is that older versions of the 6010 utilized only NE5534s, while newer version utilize both the AD797 and NE5534.
I don't know if that is true, and if true, which which version began including the AD797.
Perhaps, someone who actually knows what they're talking about may yet respond.
Thank you very much indeed
I did not know of the two versions
Very interesting
Someone consider the 6010 one of the best solid state preamp around
Regards,
gino
Old 15th March 2013, 09:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Although I've not had the opportunity to audition a 6010D, it certainly does seem to have an excellent reputation. The question of whether or not it's the 'very best sounding' preamp isn't what intrigues me about it. What intrigues me about it is the fact that it features monolithic IC op-amps as the gain elements, yet still delivers subjective performance placing it AMONG the very best sounding preamps.

This appears true with certain other super high-end vendors as well, such as Burmester with their IC op-amp/discrete hybrid based 'X-AMP' topology, and AMR, and also with Swiss vendor Soulution. All offer very expensive gear, widely regarded as among the very best sounding money can buy, yet all reportedly utilize IC op-amps at their cores.

Not only do we in the DIY community seem to be in the dark about how to obtain top rank musicality from IC op-amps, but apparently, so are the many reasonably prices equipment vendors. I can only surmise that it comes down to certain implementation details, and not to some unique circuit topology, but I don't know. Clone schematics of the MBL 6010D (which, may not be accurate copies of the circuit) don't appear to show anything out of the ordinary. Obtaining first rate musicality from common IC op-amps certainly promises to simplify, and make less expensive, our DIY lives. Whatever is the trick, I wish I knew it.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 15th March 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 15th March 2013, 10:45 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I understand. Maybe the details are more decisive with op-amps than with discrete circuits ?
This is important from a DIYer point of view
Layout and component selection could be what makes a difference
It would be interesting to see some measurements on these clones anyway
I cannot imagine that in MBL they refine their products by ear
And then there is also a super pot i think
Thanks again
Kind regards,
gino
Old 20th March 2013, 07:16 AM   #27
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

of course the Layout and component selection is important to get the best out of fairly fast low noise opamps. there are a few AD797 specific tricks as well to do with the pin 8 distortion reduction mechanism and its combination with and connection to the FB as far as layout this is critical. the ebay PCBs pictured dont have good layout, I prefer the soic8 package for layout its easier to get more effective HF decoupling, decoupling again in particular is pretty lame on these PCBs with the stock standard film caps too far away from the chip and too large to be all that useful.

luckily there is a raft of information online about how to get the most out of the AD797; on top of the extensive information available from AD themselves, Groner, Jung and Scott Wurcer himself on this forum to name a few. its not the easiest chip to apply but it rewards those who pay proper care.

Last edited by qusp; 20th March 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:02 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much indeed
To be honest I played with some opamps, also the ad797, taking schematics from the datasheet and the pcb from a kits vendor.
Very bad results. Noise and so on ...
I would go for a populated evaluation board, but nowadys everything is smd
and so i am completely out of the game ...
But it is interesting to know that opamps have indeed a high potential for good sound
Thanks and kind regards,
gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 20th March 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 01:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

yes it is ok
Old 9th January 2014, 10:45 PM   #30
mbosko is offline mbosko  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Question for member Arthur
Can you make and post pictures of MBL preamp made on day light
without flash
Also are you happy owner of MBL preamp ?

Thanks a lot

Hide this!Advertise here!