bi-amp'd, with passive mid/high ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
changing over to a bi-amp'd system (pro-audio "mains").
There is an existing crossover, which I was planing on eliminating BUT... There are midrange and hi-freq horns (the cabinets were 3 way). I'm assuming I can just run the crossover as a two way (the woofer would not be connected) without any problems......... correct?
or , would this work and be possibly better??
Seems the midrange horn "likes" a 800 - 3500 hz range...
Would it hurt the horn-driver to just feed it the full bi-amp signal (over 1000hz) and then just put a cap in line with the hi-horn?
thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think you are better off keeping the existing crossover for the mid/high and feeding it the signal from the highpass of your active crossover. you will almost certainly upset balance if you change the upper two drives crossover in the way you have suggested :)

Note that you may also find you need to experiment with the lower (active) crossover as well as matching the transfer function of the original passive crossover probably will not be as simple as dialing in a frequency and slope.

edit: I'm assuming the original crossover is a simple parallel one. If it is a series crossover then all bets are off! :)

Tony.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you can, I think you should remove the woofer filter from the speaker connection altogether. having an unloaded crossover may in fact damage your amp.

if it's a parallel crossover then it should be easy enough (unless it is all on one pcb) to disconnect the woofer part of the crossover from the rest, as each branch of the crossover (bass, mid, and tweeter) should effectively have it's own +ve and -ve connections to the speaker terminals, ie the filters are effectively separate, but connected in parallel.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.