looking for a 3 way active crossover for diy powered speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2011, 05:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default looking for a 3 way active crossover for diy powered speaker

I'm going to be building a pair of diy powered AR-LST speakers and need an active 3 way crossover to go in betweeen the input and the amplifiers. I will be using 2 class D amps with 4 channels (1 channel per tweeter) and then another class D amp for the 12 i will be putting in the center.
looking for something that will fit nicely in the back of the speaker with the amps. I was even thinking if I had to I could take a crossover already built in a case, take it out and mount it in the enclosure in my speaker somehow, then take the knobs and build them into a back panel of my own. then figure out a way to power everything including amps and crossover off 1 power plug, with mabe even 1 power supply?
Old 25th December 2011, 06:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
This is a very good one if you sub the TLO74 quad opamps for OPA4134's
Silicon Chip Online - Active 3-Way Crossover for Loud Speaker Systems

Cheers George
Old 25th December 2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

ESP (Rod Elliott) has a choice of two PCBs. I use the earlier one and am very happy with it.

Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

Project 125

The boards are reasonably priced and good quality.

Frank

Last edited by Francec; 25th December 2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I still use the Ben Duncan crossover published in Hi Fi News in the early '80s. You can make it any number of ways, I've used it 2 and 3 way.
"Here are the directions to get to the Ben Duncan HFN/RR 1981 active cross over.
Google "Saturn Sound Recording Services" go to the LHS options, click HISTORY then "The HiFi Section" and then "diyprojects". Fair bit of fine print but it is all there.........The cross over is of course nearly at the bottom of the page! That should do it."
Ben will sell you a reprint of the article with updates, but make sure you make it VERY clear exactly what you want, as he can be hard work! Go to Ben Duncan Research: Archives & Libraries. I now use AD825s from Chris Daley in Oz. Go to my.opera.com and find a member called "opamp".
Old 26th December 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
KlaRa54 is offline KlaRa54  Germany
diyAudio Member

The topologie of the crossover in "Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover", figure 1c, is not the same as in Woofer crossover & offset.
KLaus.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the crossover is the easy bit.
The EQ required for each driver is far more difficult in that there are no standard formulae to determine the component values for the multiplicity of EQ F & Q & Notch & slope etc for each driver. Every one is different and requires a different EQ.

Read Linkwitz site for good info.
Old 28th December 2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

Quote:
the crossover is the easy bit.
The EQ required for each driver is far more difficult in that there are no standard formulae to determine the component values for the multiplicity of EQ F & Q & Notch & slope etc for each driver. Every one is different and requires a different EQ.
To significantly ameliorate these problems, I choose drivers that have considerably overlapping frequency response and also fairly flat FR. Therefore, less (nil) EQ to be done.
I've never understood why people would use drivers that are APIT to implement when there are plenty around that aren't.

Frank
Old 28th December 2011, 02:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I agree with AndrewT. Opamp based Active XO is the easy bit. The harder bit is the ability to change the Frequency, Slope and Propagation delay on the fly and match (attenuate or equalize) the outputs for the drivers to have a nice FR curve.

Some cheap active DIY XO alternative is MiniDSP, DCX2496, etc. And Then, there is more costly DEQX for all the things you want to do with the active setup.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:49 PM   #10
KlaRa54 is offline KlaRa54  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello,
For me this is the right approach by Riley topology. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/gr...improved-s.png

Hide this!Advertise here!