Designing a versatile pre with balanced and unbalanced in/out - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2011, 07:36 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Nikon,
You could use a regulator on it.
Typically when using in SE, the (-) input is tied to ground. I have a jumper pin that I slip into the XLR to do that. You can also make a XLR to RCA conversion cord that does it for you. IIRC you tie 1&3 to ground.

As far as reduced voltage maybe Mr. Pass himself would answer that for you in the Pass forum. It has been many years since I built that circuit, but I do recal that he had a reason for the voltage that he ran at.
Old 21st December 2011, 07:55 PM   #22
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ciao Nikon,
did you have a look at the RelaiXed?
I'm using this pre most of the time and it has most of the features you are looking for. There is no SE output.
Cheers,
Nic
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:13 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Funny thing, holidays is always a busy time. Should be the opposite...anyway.

I have two second end Jensen transformers on their way, just to try.

I also simulate the suggested Pass circuit with LTSpice. It looks like I could have decent results with 30 V supply, using IRF510.

Any suggestion for alternative mosfet to try in the simulation ?

One thing is still not clear: If used like SE to balanced converter, the circuit produces two outputs that are not 100% symmetrical. The negative has higher amplitude than the positive. This is kind of expected, as the circuit inverts. Does this matter in real life ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Nic,

I checked the design you suggested, but I cannot see anything really attractive, at first look, is a opamp pre. But I am not an expert: what am I missing ?

D.
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:34 PM   #25
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
One thing is still not clear: If used like SE to balanced converter, the circuit produces two outputs that are not 100% symmetrical. The negative has higher amplitude than the positive. This is kind of expected, as the circuit inverts. Does this matter in real life ?
First, the asymmetry is a result of the use of resistors instead of current sources and the limited transconductance of the mosfets.

Does it matter? If it does not matter to your actual pre-amplifier circuit, then you did not need a SE -> Balanced converter to start with.

Ciao T
Old 4th January 2012, 03:42 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thorsten,

Thanks for the tip. I tried to replace the lower resistor with a current sink, the asymmetry goes away, but the distortion increase, not sure why.

D.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dear All,

My electronic knowledge does not allow me to design cutting edge circuits, but I understand enough to combine and adapt other people designs to my needs.

So, the situation is the following:
1) I have some SE and some Balanced sources.
2) I have some SE and some Balanced amps.

I'd like to have the possibility to connect them all, switch between them without sacrifice in term of quality. I have various options:

a) install both SE and balanced output to all the sources, use two different pre amps, one for the balanced amps and one for the SE amps.

b) assemble a preamp that can combine both, but here I am not sure it is possible without double conversions, that I want to avoid.

Of course I can take shortcuts, and use only one phase of the balanced, but I feel like it is a waste.

I am sure I am not the first one to have this problem, and I see the high-end commercial amps (even HT) have these features, but this does not mean it is implemented in an optimum way.

Any hint ?

Thanks,

Davide
You can use line input and line output audio transformers for this purpose. You only need 2 of each for stereo.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:58 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

So, I have two of these:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p1bn.pdf

As I understand, I can use them to convert a balanced signal to feed an SE amp, but I am not sure it will have good performances the other way around, as there is an RC network built in.

Am I correct ?

D.
Old 6th January 2012, 01:18 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, I have two of these:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p1bn.pdf

As I understand, I can use them to convert a balanced signal to feed an SE amp, but I am not sure it will have good performances the other way around, as there is an RC network built in.

Am I correct ?

D.
Ah, you didn't have to buy those! But yeah, there is an RC network built in but you don't ever have to reverse this transformer since it's 1:1 ratio. You just have to make sure there is a 15kohm load or greater on the secondary side, which is the one with the zobel.

You can use this transformer to feed either a single ended OR a balanced signal to a single ended OR a balanced amplifier. It is a high impedance input transformer. You need a different kind of transformer for the output side. You need a low impedance 1:1 transformer for the output (usually 600 ohms).
Old 6th January 2012, 01:30 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I found them second hand, so they were cheaper.

I don't really see the need of the output transformer, if the source has already low output impedance.

D.

Hide this!Advertise here!